Won't run off choke

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Tango Bravo 1

Won't run off choke

Post by Tango Bravo 1 »

Can someone please tell me why this 503 will not run off choke??? Surely I'm not the only one that has had this problem.
3Dreaming

Re: Won't run off choke

Post by 3Dreaming »

Tango Bravo 1 wrote:Can someone please tell me why this 503 will not run off choke??? Surely I'm not the only one that has had this problem.
Not many here with 503 experience.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If your 503 has a Bing carb, it really doesn't have a choke, in the conventional sense. It has an enriching starting carburetor, which only works if the throttle is fully closed. If you're running throttle up with choke on, the engine will stumble. Use the choke only for starting, keep the throttle against the idle stop until the engine warms up, and then close the choke before you open the throttle, and your engine should purr.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

And if it doesn't do as Paul advises? It is often an issue with the tiny jets within the carb being clogged or constricted by even tinier debris.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
drseti

Post by drseti »

chicagorandy wrote:And if it doesn't do as Paul advises? It is often an issue with the tiny jets within the carb being clogged or constricted by even tinier debris.
True, but I always try the simplest fixes first!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

When our older dirt bikes (carbs) did that, we always checked for air leaks between the carb/manifold/cylinder/head gasket first. Not knowing what a 503 is, if it's a 2 stroker, check the head gasket carefully. They have a tendency to burn out on 2 strokes, but are dead simple to replace. Oftentimes, it was just a loose bolt (bad vibrations) somewhere in the connection.
drseti

Post by drseti »

HAPPYDAN wrote:if it's a 2 stroker,
It is.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US