Breakdown Assistance

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Breakdown Assistance

Post by drseti »

Many of you are acquainted or familiar with Mike Busch. Mike is a master A&P/AI, who has written numerous columns and articles in various aviation publications over the decades. Perhaps you've attended one of his many EAA webinars over these past ten years. Mike is the founder and CEO of Savvy Aviation Inc., a company which has offered a Maintenance Management program to its customers for some time. Last week, Mike extended his company's Breakdown Assistance service for free to all interested aircraft owners, for the duration of the COVID-19 emergency. That's the good news. :D

To understand how this works, let me engage you in some Scenario-Based Training. :roll:

Let's say you and your family are on a trip in your Cirrus SR-22, when it breaks down far from home. But you are a Savvy Breakdown Assistance customer, so you call a toll-free number, report your situation, and wait. Before long, you receive a call or email back from a mechanic, who attempts to answer your top three questions:

(1) Can the plane be started?
(2) Is it safe for you to fly it home?
(3) If not, what will it take to make that possible?

Now, let's switch it up a bit. Let's imagine the same scenario, except you fly an LSA or Experimental aircraft. (That's why you're on this forum, isn't it?) So now, the bad news: Savvy doesn't offer this program for Experimentals and LSAs. :cry:

That is, up until now. This week (with urging from me), Mike just expanded the Breakdown Assistance program to LSAs and Experimentals! :) And, for now, it's still free! :D

But, the mechanics that Savvy employs are mostly traditional A&P/IAs, who have little knowledge of, or experience with, LSAs, or homebuilts, or Rotax engines, or... :evil:

Until now! You see, Mike has just engaged me to assist in this narrow area which you and I know and love. :D

Full disclosure: as of yesterday, I am a paid consultant to Savvy, in the areas of Rotax engines, LSAs, and experimentals. This is a commercial arrangement, but IMHO not a conflict of interest, since (1) the service is temporarily free, and (2) you can still get all the free advice you want on this http://SportPilotTalk.com forum. :?

The only bad news is, if this pans out as I anticipate, I won't have quite as much time to respond to posts here, or take your PMs, phone calls, and emails. But, if you're stranded away from home, I'm still here to help, thru Savvy Aviation. For free enrollment, go to http://SavvyBreakdown.com. When you sign up, if your LSA or homebuilt isn't listed in their registration pulldown, just click on "I cannot find my aircraft make and model." And, if you happen to see Mike Busch at an aviation event once the crisis ends, please be sure to thank him for his generosity!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Re: Breakdown Assistance

Post by 3Dreaming »

My breakdown assistant travels with me wherever I go. I haven't had to use him for quite some time. :D
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

That's great news, Paul! Congratulations to both you and Mike on what sounds like a great partnership. I've known Mike for decades through Cessna Pilots Association and SMXgig in Santa Maria. He also consulted with us at Visa International in San Mateo before I retired. Mike is a good guy.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

So the business model is like a triple A? I like it. Will go to their website. Thx and great luck with it.