Tecnam Flap extension

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

AviatorCrafty

Tecnam Flap extension

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Before flying the Tecnam P2002 Sierra that my school has I flew the P92, and for both planes maximum flap extension speed is stated at 68 knots. The 68 knot flap extension speed can be a bit annoying since in the pattern they can still travel a bit even at low power settings, and the Cessna 162 I trained in you could go to flap setting one up to 100 knots. I was told at one point that for the P92 you could extend up to takeoff flaps as long as you're within the green band but could never find a publication from Tecnam on it. My question is does this apply to the P2002 as well?
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
Scooper

Re: Tecnam Flap extension

Post by Scooper »

The P2002-JF maximum flaps extension speed is 67 KIAS full flaps (40 degrees) and 97 KIAS for takeoff (15 degrees) according to the POH.
P2002-JF Speed Limitations.jpg
P2002-JF Speed Limitations.jpg (117.64 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

That’s very reasonable.

On my plane I am limited to 65 IAS at full down and 75 IAS at takeoff setting.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Scooper wrote:The P2002-JF maximum flaps extension speed is 67 KIAS full flaps (40 degrees) and 97 KIAS for takeoff (15 degrees) according to the POH.

Interesting, as in the POH for the P2002 Sierra US-LSA it says 67 KIAS is the maximum for any flap setting
Attachments
Screenshot_1.png
Screenshot_1.png (159.52 KiB) Viewed 2530 times
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Yeah, that's pretty reasonable. My CH601XL VFE is 70 KIAS full flaps.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

To my understanding the P2002-JF is the European version while the Sierra was the US LSA version, wonder why they would be different.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

Scooper

Post by Scooper »

AviatorCrafty wrote:
Scooper wrote:The P2002-JF maximum flaps extension speed is 67 KIAS full flaps (40 degrees) and 97 KIAS for takeoff (15 degrees) according to the POH.

Interesting, as in the POH for the P2002 Sierra US-LSA it says 67 KIAS is the maximum for any flap setting
Yeah, that is interesting. The P2002 only flight manual I found online was for the Euro -JF. The Sierra is pretty explicit "for any flap setting."
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

This is the manual for the P2002 Sierra (not my flight schools but its the same thing): https://www.northcoastair.com/documents ... anuale.pdf

My school also has the P92 which in it's POH says the same thing about 68 KIAS being the max for any flap setting but on a flight with an instructor I was told Tecnam said that as long as I'm in the green band I can use takeoff flaps but no more which I could never find such a thing so I played it safe and stuck to the 68 knot max
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

RBearden56

Post by RBearden56 »

The POH is the final word. If you are doing a check ride and exceed the Vfe because an instructor told you could use the green band for TO flaps settings, this will get you another check ride and a DPE lecture on following the POH. Our local DPE was quite adamant about following the POH :x . My C162 has flap tick marks on the airspeed indicator for each flap setting max IAS, 100kts 10 degrees (TO), 85kts 25 degrees, and 70kts at 40 degrees (full flap extension white bar). These are all listed in the 162 POH.

Randall Bearden
sport Pilot
LSRM-A
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

RBearden56 wrote:The POH is the final word. If you are doing a check ride and exceed the Vfe because an instructor told you could use the green band for TO flaps settings, this will get you another check ride and a DPE lecture on following the POH. Our local DPE was quite adamant about following the POH :x . My C162 has flap tick marks on the airspeed indicator for each flap setting max IAS, 100kts 10 degrees (TO), 85kts 25 degrees, and 70kts at 40 degrees (full flap extension white bar). These are all listed in the 162 POH.

Randall Bearden
sport Pilot
LSRM-A

Yeah I still follow the POH, I did my flight training in the 162 and on one approach I exceeded the speed limit for second notch by about 2 knots which my instructor then hammered it into to me to never do that and luckily nothing ever came of it but ever since I've had a deep respect for the POH unless the manufacturer makes a statement saying I can do something otherwise.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot