Power Inverter Suggestions

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Power Inverter Suggestions

Post by JJ Campbell »

My Rotax 912 ULS has a Reiff 150w Pre Heating System. Can anyone recommend a good power inverter for me to use from the cigarette lighter socket on my car?
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Power Inverter Suggestions

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Will the car be parked unattended, with motor running at the plane? Reiff heat systems work over time, do you plan on sitting for a couple of hours? I’ve got the Reiff system on my SLING, it’s plugged into a SwitchBox remote switch. I turn it on from home the night before or at least 2 hours before arrival at the airport. The colder it is out the longer I let it cook.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Will the car be parked unattended, with motor running at the plane? Reiff heat systems work over time, do you plan on sitting for a couple of hours? I’ve got the Reiff system on my SLING, it’s plugged into a SwitchBox remote switch. I turn it on from home the night before or at least 2 hours before arrival at the airport. The colder it is out the longer I let it cook.
I am in a tie-down with no access to AC. So, yes, I plan to park the car next to the plane and sit in it with my Kindle. I'm hoping an hour will do the trick, if not I guess I'll have to read longer.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

JJ Campbell wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Will the car be parked unattended, with motor running at the plane? Reiff heat systems work over time, do you plan on sitting for a couple of hours? I’ve got the Reiff system on my SLING, it’s plugged into a SwitchBox remote switch. I turn it on from home the night before or at least 2 hours before arrival at the airport. The colder it is out the longer I let it cook.
I am in a tie-down with no access to AC. So, yes, I plan to park the car next to the plane and sit in it with my Kindle. I'm hoping an hour will do the trick, if not I guess I'll have to read longer.

Yeah JJ, all depends on the temps, colder=longer. I used forced air back when I was tied down with no power source. Had a SureFire propane heater. Usually got the oil thin enough on a cold day for an easy start in half an hour.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Will your cigarette lighter provide enough amperage to power the inverter to heat the engine?
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'd suggest a small, portable gasoline powered electric generator. This one's only $125:

https://www.harborfreight.com/electrica ... 63025.html
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

3Dreaming wrote:Will your cigarette lighter provide enough amperage to power the inverter to heat the engine?
I don't know but the pre heater is only 150 watts and I see cigarette lighter ones anywhere from 150 to 500 watts. I figured I'd get a 300 watt one if someone has one they recommend.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

drseti wrote:I'd suggest a small, portable gasoline powered electric generator. This one's only $125:

Thanks, Paul. I'll look into that one. If it will fit in the storage box I have under the tail, that would mean that I wouldn't need to gave the car near the plane and I could also hang out in the FBO with my Kindle. (Generator chained to the anchor point of course!)
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

This Generac 1200-watt unit from Amazon ($369) is just about the least expensive small generator I've seen. I believe just relabled the Wen generator with their name, as it looks exactly the same as the Wen, which is highly rated. (I have no first-hand experience with them, however.)

I own a Champion 3000-watt generator we use with our RV, and I've become partial to that brand, so I would probably spend a few extra dollars ($429) and purchase this Champion 2000-watt unit instead. Both are "inverter" type generators, and produce smooth, reliable power.

You can sometimes find these at CostCo (or online at CostCo.com), which is nice because they have a no-questions-asked return policy.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

JJ Campbell wrote:
drseti wrote:I'd suggest a small, portable gasoline powered electric generator. This one's only $125:

Thanks, Paul. I'll look into that one. If it will fit in the storage box I have under the tail, that would mean that I wouldn't need to gave the car near the plane and I could also hang out in the FBO with my Kindle. (Generator chained to the anchor point of course!)
The Harbor Freight one was 2" too tall for my storage box but I found this on Lowe's web site:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sportsman-1-00 ... lsrc=3p.ds
It looks perfect to me and only costs $173.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

I cannot tell from a quick review of the web site, but I don't see any claim that the inexpensive "Sportsman" generator from Lowes is an "inverter-type" generator. Inverter generators provide much more stable power, and if you ever want to hook up anything to it that needs "clean" power, the old non-inverter (cheaper) type generators are all over the place when it comes to both voltage and maintaining 60 Hz. Also, did you notice that it's a 2-stroke engine (likely have to add 2-stroke oil to the gas) and is rated at 65 dB noise rating? That's pretty loud for a small generator.

Here's a similar generator (even the same "Sportsman" brand) but it's an Inverter-type generator with a 4-stroke engine for $219. The one you found at Lowes uses a 2-stroke engine, so you probably have to pre-mix the gas). This one is rated as 56 dB (so about 1/2 the volume of the 2-stroke one you found at Lowes.
Jim Parker
Farmersville, TX
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

JimParker256 wrote:I cannot tell from a quick review of the web site, but I don't see any claim that the inexpensive "Sportsman" generator from Lowes is an "inverter-type" generator. Inverter generators provide much more stable power, and if you ever want to hook up anything to it that needs "clean" power, the old non-inverter (cheaper) type generators are all over the place when it comes to both voltage and maintaining 60 Hz. Also, did you notice that it's a 2-stroke engine (likely have to add 2-stroke oil to the gas) and is rated at 65 dB noise rating? That's pretty loud for a small generator.

Here's a similar generator (even the same "Sportsman" brand) but it's an Inverter-type generator with a 4-stroke engine for $219. The one you found at Lowes uses a 2-stroke engine, so you probably have to pre-mix the gas). This one is rated as 56 dB (so about 1/2 the volume of the 2-stroke one you found at Lowes.
My storage box is only 14" tall so this one is also too tall.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

IMHO the Harbor Freight and Sportsman (same machines) are NOT very good. Had negative experiences with several of them.

However, the Harbor Freight Predator 2000 (a $450 Chinese knockoff of the Honda) is superb. Yes it's also too tall to fit in your storage box but it IS light enough to just transport to the site in your car before each winter flight and store it in that while you're in the air?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

JimParker256 wrote:I own a Champion 3000-watt generator we use with our RV, and I've become partial to that brand, so I would probably spend a few extra dollars ($429) and purchase this Champion 2000-watt unit instead. Both are "inverter" type generators, and produce smooth, reliable power.
A generator with an inverter is only important if you need true sine wave output instead of square wave because square waves have a high THD (total harmonic distortion) which is bad for sensitive electronics. If your load is just a heater then there is no need to waste money on a clean power source. Just buy any old generator that has enough power (the heater must not use more than 80% of the generator's rated power).
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

fatsportpilot wrote: A generator with an inverter is only important if you need true sine wave output instead of square wave because square waves have a high THD (total harmonic distortion) which is bad for sensitive electronics. If your load is just a heater then there is no need to waste money on a clean power source. Just buy any old generator that has enough power (the heater must not use more than 80% of the generator's rated power).
You're right, as long as you're 100% positive you will NEVER want to use that generator to provide power to your avionics while you test something, or do anything else with it where "clean power" would matter. Personally, I'll never own another non-inverter generator after experiencing the difference.

The other point (and possibly equally important) is that the inverter-type generators are "mostly" very quiet. The "other" generators are cheap power, and usually a whole lot less "neighbor-friendly" when you're using them. I would think it would be a good idea to NOT bring a bunch of attention to what you're doing...
Jim Parker
Farmersville, TX