Are solid state circuit breakers any good?

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

fatsportpilot

Are solid state circuit breakers any good?

Post by fatsportpilot »

What's your opinion on solid state circuit breakers like VP-X? (https://verticalpower.com/index.php/products/vp-x)

They advertise being safer and more reliable than older mechanical circuit breakers because less high voltage has to flow on your side of the firewall. The fact that they report detailed information about current and voltage at each wire to your EFIS is a big plus. But the little skeptic inside my head is asking if it's such a great technology, why is it not standard? So is there any downside in reliability or safety compared to the older thermal circuit breakers we all use?
Wm.Ince

Re: Are solid state circuit breakers any good?

Post by Wm.Ince »

fatsportpilot wrote:The fact that they report detailed information about current and voltage at each wire to your EFIS is a big plus. But the little skeptic inside my head is asking if it's such a great technology, why is it not standard? So is there any downside in reliability or safety compared to the older thermal circuit breakers we all use?
Does that mean if things aren't perfect . . . they will trip?
That does not seem too desirable to me. Electrical fluctuations are the norm for the Rotax 912 ULS.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

No they won't trip with a slight fluctuation. I think they can be programmed for the tolerance you want. If you want it to cut the circuit only when a mechanical thermal circuit breaker would do it then you can which is what you're supposed to do.
drseti

Post by drseti »

I have the VP-X in my new Bristell. I'll post a PIREP once I have some experience with it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

drseti wrote:I have the VP-X in my new Bristell. I'll post a PIREP once I have some experience with it.
Thanks! Does the Bristell include that as standard or did you request it as custom?
drseti

Post by drseti »

fatsportpilot wrote: Does the Bristell include that as standard or did you request it as custom?
It isn't standard, but it's an available option. Since the plane I bought was the dealer's demo, they ordered it that way (dealers generally put all available bells and whistles on their demos).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

I built my RV12 with a VPX. I like how easy it was to wire and over the years I have added things and reprogramming was easy. I did find an old pic from about 8 year while building.

Old pic with an even older phone. Quality is not very good but you get the idea.

I control my wig wig and trim speed off of the airspeed and the VP controls those functions
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Why would the VP-X control trim? I thought it's just an electronic circuit breaker and monitoring system.
drseti

Post by drseti »

fatsportpilot wrote:Why would the VP-X control trim? I thought it's just an electronic circuit breaker and monitoring system.
I'm not sure, but I think it might also include variable voltage regulators.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
David

Post by David »

Paul corrrect - the electric trim speed is controlled via the VPX and based on airspeed setting when you configure it - Fast trim at lower speeds and high speed slower so it isn’t so sensitive.
David
EAA 1250 KPTW PA
RV12 EAB - Maiden flight 8/30/12
David's RV12 http://www.rv12pilot.com
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

When I spec’d out my SLING, I went with standard circuit breakers rather than with a Vertical Power unit. At the time, one of the pilots from the around the world flight of the SLING, as well as a builder/owner, related problems they had with the units, which persuaded me to go the traditional route. I basically erred on the side of caution in this case and went with what I was familiar with.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:When I spec’d out my SLING, I went with standard circuit breakers rather than with a Vertical Power unit. At the time, one of the pilots from the around the world flight of the SLING, as well as a builder/owner, related problems they had with the units, which persuaded me to go the traditional route. I basically erred on the side of caution in this case and went with what I was familiar with.
What problems did he say he had? Were they installation troubles or problems with the units operation?
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

fatsportpilot wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:When I spec’d out my SLING, I went with standard circuit breakers rather than with a Vertical Power unit. At the time, one of the pilots from the around the world flight of the SLING, as well as a builder/owner, related problems they had with the units, which persuaded me to go the traditional route. I basically erred on the side of caution in this case and went with what I was familiar with.
What problems did he say he had? Were they installation troubles or problems with the units operation?
Operation.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Any other details about the problems he had that you could share? It would help me in making my decision.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

fatsportpilot wrote:Any other details about the problems he had that you could share? It would help me in making my decision.
It was over two and a half years ago. All I recall, was it tripped constantly and not not at a good time. Like over water miles from land. Hey, bottom line, I’m sure the units are pretty solid a d way more reliable, as many use them. My application is simple, I took into consideration what was told to me at the time and went with what I know...standard breakers.

Friends who have the Vertical Power setups, report pretty trouble free operation. The ones who have issues usually route back to the install/programming process.