Oil Pressure Settings on AFS 5600

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Oil Pressure Settings on AFS 5600

Post by JJ Campbell »

I have an Advanced Flight System 5600 EFIS. AFS is now owned and "supported" by Dynon. I purchased the plane used and since the beginning, I've been getting check oil pressure fairly regularly but just once and not repeated. When I check, it is always fine. I e-mailed support and was told how to access the oil pressure settings but when I got there, I could not map the POH to the settings presented in the EFIS.

I e-mailed back a week ago and have not received a response. Below is my e-mail. I'm hoping someone in the group can tell me what values to enter:
I feel like I am being really dense but I can’t figure out how to map the values in my POH to the options found in Set-Cal-Oil Pressure.

The POH (I’ve converted the numbers from Bars to PSI) has the following:
Red Line Min 12
Green Arc 29-73
Yellow Arc 12-29
__________73-102
Red Max 102

The options given in the AFS and the current settings (probably wrong) are:
Red Top 100
Red Hi 90
Yellow Hi 80
Yellow Lo 38
Red Lo 30
Min 0
Shift 0

I have no idea what shift is and I don’t see how I get the two segments of the yellow arc from the choices I have. Also, Red Top is not clear.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
JimParker256

Re: Oil Pressure Settings on AFS 5600

Post by JimParker256 »

JJ Campbell wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:14 pm
The options given in the AFS and the current settings (probably wrong) are:
Red Top 100
Red Hi 90
Yellow Hi 80
Yellow Lo 38
Red Lo 30
Min 0
Shift 0

I have no idea what shift is and I don’t see how I get the two segments of the yellow arc from the choices I have. Also, Red Top is not clear.
Thinking about this logically, according to your engine manual, there are five "color bands" for you to be concerned with: Starting at the top, there would be:
"excessively high oil pressure" range (120-102)
"cautionary high oil pressure" range (102-73)
"normal operating oil pressure" range (73-29)
"cautionary low oil pressure" range (29-12)
"excessively low oil pressure" range (12-0).

Thinking logically about the minimum number of entries to define the above ranges, you would need to define the top of the red arc (Red Top), the transition from red to yellow arcs (Red Hi), the transition from yellow to green arcs (Yellow Hi), the transition from green to lower yellow arcs (Yellow Lo), the transition from lower yellow to lower red arcs (Red Lo), and finally the bottom of the lower red arc (Min).

Specifically, given the numbers you've included from your engine manual, I would set it up like this:
Red Top = 120
Red Hi = 102
Yellow Hi = 73
Yellow Lo = 29
Red Lo = 12
Min = 0

I have no clue what the "Shift" setting is for, but that SHOULD be documented in the setup manual. But you may not need it, assuming the settings above work for you...
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
JJ Campbell

Re: Oil Pressure Settings on AFS 5600

Post by JJ Campbell »

JimParker256 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:47 pm Specifically, given the numbers you've included from your engine manual, I would set it up like this:
Red Top = 120
Red Hi = 102
Yellow Hi = 73
Yellow Lo = 29
Red Lo = 12
Min = 0

I have no clue what the "Shift" setting is for, but that SHOULD be documented in the setup manual. But you may not need it, assuming the settings above work for you...
Thanks Jim!
I'll go with your suggestion, it makes sense.

SHOULD is the correct word. The only way the AFS documentation could be worse is if they got those kids in China who write the digital watch documentation to do it!
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet