Gearbox inspection cost

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Gearbox inspection cost

Post by Warmi »

Hey,

Trying to figure out what is the typical cost of gearbox inspection for 912 ULS.

Thanks
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Re: Gearbox inspection cost

Post by drseti »

I send all my gearboxes to Lockwood Aviation in Sebring FL. Kerry is their gearbox guru, does a great job, and turns them around quickly at a reasonable price. The price for just the inspection has been running me about $300 to $400 (about equal to the cost of UPS next day air freight both ways). An inspection usually turns up some required maintenance (seals and Bellville washers typically get replaced), adding a small amount to the bill. Occasionally, whole gearsets need replacement - that can run the bill up to a couple of thousand, so be prepared for that.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, the gearbox will eventually make its way to Leading Edge Airfoils in WI - very similar to your process, my mechanic will get that over for inspection, except he is about 50 miles away from Leading Edge so he will drop it off so that should be a bit cheaper :-)

My plane is at 620 hours now and I have barely used 100LL so theoretically I could wait till 900 or so hours but I get this weird vibration ( very low frequency - almost like plane is being occasionally slightly punched by some invisible force) when on base/final ( basically idling ) but not on the ground so I presume this is some kind of gearbox/prop load related issue.

I don't see any metal or anything like that in oil filter or the plug but given the above I figured it won't hurt to get it inspected ...

Thanks
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Just for reference … the total cost of 600 hour gearbox inspection was around $700 at Leading Edge Airfoils.
Everything looked good , the only parts that were replaced were usual wearable stuff like gaskets, washers etc ..