Hal effect current sensor

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Hal effect current sensor

Post by Warmi »

Hi

Currently I have my current sensor mounted on the batter lead , I would like to switch to show current supplied by the alternator so it is 0 when engine is not running and positive when alternator is supplying power … my question is where should it be installed … over one of the generator yellow leads going to rectifier (G) or somewhere else ?

Thanks
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
JJay

Re: Hal effect current sensor

Post by JJay »

My first thought, the yellow leads from the internal alternator are A/C. Where your Hall effect sensor is now is on a D/C circuit. Will it work for A/C?
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

As JJay stated the yellow wires are unregulated A/C voltage going to the voltage regulator. You want to measure DC current being pulled from the battery to monitor the drain on the system so the sensor is already mounted in the correct place. Not sure why you want to measure the current coming out of the generator, that would be irrelevant as long as it's charging the system. Can you elaborate why?

If you just want to know if the generator is working just add a light off the L terminal. I have a red led idiot light on my panel that turns on as soon as I turn on the master and it goes off when the engine starts. If it ever comes on with the engine running it's no longer charging the system. My AMPS on the Dynon tell me how much or how little juice I'm using.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Sorry missed your responses … took my only 5 months to respond hahaha

I got everything working the way Shawn outlined - I was completely changing my panel ( EFIS and radio from dead TruTrak EFIS to the latest GRT ) and the new EFIS/EMS manual was suggesting different setup- ultimately I did not like it so I went with standard setup.

I also got the idiot light installed - works very well.
Attachments
Panel.jpeg
Panel.jpeg (190.19 KiB) Viewed 5518 times
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois