Grounded plane

H. Paul Shuch is a Light Sport Repairman with Maintenance ratings for airplanes, gliders, weight shift control, and powered parachutes, as well as an independent Rotax Maintenance Technician at the Heavy Maintenance level. He holds a PhD in Air Transportation Engineering from the University of California, and serves as Director of Maintenance for AvSport of Lock Haven.

Moderator: drseti

banker

Grounded plane

Post by banker »

Hi my plane (a 2020 colt with 200 hours) is currently being ferried from Florida to Texas. After a routine stop for gas , the pilot experienced a 2000 RPM drop on the right mag during the run up. A local mechanic on the field (not a Rotax expert) has been attempting to diagnose the problem, but appears to be having trouble localizing. At first they thought is was related to plugs, then one of the ignition coils, both have since been ruled out. Any ideas please
drseti

Re: Grounded plane

Post by drseti »

You don't say which engine your plane has, but let's assume a 912ULS. If the mechanic checked the "mags" he or she clearly doesn't understand electronic ignition. How were the ignition coils and plugs eliminated? Faulty ignition modules generally present as difficulty starting, not an RPM drop during run-up.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
banker

Re: Grounded plane

Post by banker »

Ops, my apologies. Yes its a 921ULS. I am not exactly sure what they have done other than what I have put down here. Just looking to see if there is anything glaring based upon the symptoms they experienced.