Commercial Operations Question

The Federal Aviation Regulations (also know as FAR's). This is the Bible of aviation, the rules under which we operate. This is where you'll find everything you want to know about pilots and airplanes in the United States. Ask questions. Get answers.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Commercial Operations Question

Post by MrMorden »

I have a question about using an aircraft for commercial purposes.

Let's say one is an aircraft mechanic (LSRM, A&P, whatever), and also a Sport Pilot.

If this pilot flies to a location to do maintenance on somebody's aircraft, is that a commercial use or just personal transportation? You would not need a commercial driver's license to drive there, and you are really just using the aircraft for personal transport *to* the job site, not using the aircraft for hire or commercial purposes.

Opinions?
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
FastEddieB

Re: Commercial Operations Question

Post by FastEddieB »

Well, it would be "in the furtherance of a business", far broader than "for compensation or hire".

At first blush, I'd say its a no-go for a Sport Pilot.

But I'm sure it happens all the time, and no harm, no foul.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
BrianL99

Post by BrianL99 »

MrMorden wrote:I have a question about using an aircraft for commercial purposes.

Let's say one is an aircraft mechanic (LSRM, A&P, whatever), and also a Sport Pilot.

If this pilot flies to a location to do maintenance on somebody's aircraft, is that a commercial use or just personal transportation? You would not need a commercial driver's license to drive there, and you are really just using the aircraft for personal transport *to* the job site, not using the aircraft for hire or commercial purposes.

Opinions?
As FastEddie said, I think it's in "furtherance of a business" and would likely be a deductible expenses per IRS regs.

Your example points out how badly the SP regs were written. For example, a Licensed SP Repairman, even one who holds a PP but no medical, couldn't even take a flight to verify or diagnose a problem with an airplane. Seems foolish to me.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I agree with you guys, I forgot about the "furtherance of a business" language.

I'm considering the LSRM certification, and trying to feel out the limitations. I'm not allowed to do commercial maintenance in my hangar, and am unlikely to be renting a larger one that allows commercial ops any time soon, which would leave me with visiting others' aircraft where they sit...easy by plane, tedious by car.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
bottleworks

Post by bottleworks »

(I'm gone. Everything deleted! Can't stand the ignorant data spread here).
Last edited by bottleworks on Fri May 08, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SportPilot

Post by SportPilot »