Possible partnership in CT Goodspeed

Looking for a partner? No, we're not talking about dating. Partnerships are another way to bring down the cost of flying. Use this forum to find like-minded folks in your neighborhood.

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Possible partnership in CT Goodspeed

Post by TimTaylor »

What worked for me on 3 airplanes and one beach condo was to go into partnerships with people I already knew. The first airplane was someone I worked with in South Carolina. We later brought in a 3rd person we worked with who ultimately bought me out when I got transferred to Wisconsin. The second and third airplanes was someone who moved into my neighborhood in Georgia. He's been my best friend for over 30 years. The condo was someone I worked with in North Carolina.

There are advantages to knowing the person (and their spouse) before you plunk down $25,000 for joint ownership. In all those partnerships with 5 different people, including me, we never had one single disagreement or harsh words, even when my condo partner let our insurance lapse just before hurricane Hugo hit North Myrtle Beach. Ouch!
Retired from flying.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

AGLyme wrote:I am not looking for a plane partner, but, I believe the poster is smart to reveal his biases right up front. We have all heard war stories about the minority of plane partners or plane club members who don't share a first class maintenance culture, or, leaves it to the other guy to clean up the mess. To kiss a lot of frogs and reveal his biases in person is a waste of time. Which candidate is going to say "gee, I don't really like taking care of the plane, and, if I land hard and put the plane away, it is up to the next guy who pre-flights it".

Good luck finding your plane partner. I am based in Chester. I know of a couple of first class guys who are looking for a Light Sport to teach in. Happy to put you in touch with them and perhaps you could pass along planes for sale situations to each other.
Hey AGLyme. Bummer about 235KP. I soooo wanted to get my instruction in her. I'm pretty close to sitting for the written but I have no plane to rent. This is accelerating my plane purchase.
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

It is a shame, I think I put about 4 hours on that plane, then the Flight Design arrived and I transitioned over to the FD and finished my "re-licensing". Were you taking lessons with Mike and Jeff? Those were my instructors, excellent stick and rudder guys. I believe Jeff is on the same search you are. Ping me privately if you want his number. Ask them to teach you in the Cub, an absolute blast. We live in a world class flying area. I hope you get a hangar at Goodspeed, my very favorite airport to fly to.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

No such thing as "re-licensing." A pilot certificate is good forever. CFI's expire every two years if not renewed.
Retired from flying.
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

You are technically correct Tim.
I earned my PPL in 1978, and, decided I wanted to fly airplanes again in 2018. In my case, I used my public school vernacular term -- "re-licensing"... :D
drseti

Post by drseti »

And the term you really meant was "regaining currency" :)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

AGLyme wrote:You are technically correct Tim.
I earned my PPL in 1978, and, decided I wanted to fly airplanes again in 2018. In my case, I used my public school vernacular term -- "re-licensing"... :D
It's probably best not to confuse people and invent aviation terms that don't exist. Technically, all you had to do is go get a Flight Review with one hour of ground and one hour of flight and demonstrate to a CFI that you were safe and proficient to fly. In reality, you probably needed several hours of dual to get up to speed.
Retired from flying.
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

When I re-entered flying after a 37 years absence, I treated the journey as if I did not have a PPL. So, I started all over again including ground school education. Not much had changed. The equipment and avionics were the same. GPS was the major game changer and a substantial safety and convenience improvement. Getting a glass panel with traffic, weather, airport info and auto pilot were important to me and I couldn't afford an upgraded, zero-timed 172, so I decided to buy a Light Sport.

I intentionally sought out tail wheel training because I wanted real stick and rudder experience, and, I was fairly certain I was going to buy a Light Sport airplane which requires (in my opinion) greater stick and rudder skills than the old GA standbys I flew in the 70's. I learned on a Cub and achieved a tail wheel endorsement, then transitioned to Light Sport.

Tim is correct I received my "Flight Review", if I confused anyone with my feeble attempt at lightening the mood, I apologize.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

AGLyme wrote:. . . Not much had changed.
I disagree.
Since the 70's, the implementation of ICAO standards, the national airspace structure and the ATC system has changed a lot.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

helpful post Bill, thank you.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

AGLyme wrote:helpful post Bill.
I guess we just have a slightly different perspective. That's okay, eh? . . . 8)
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

all good CT bro...
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Oh AG.. I assume you live in old lyme. I'm in middlefield. Quick question: does Connecticut charge a tax on airplanes? My house tax is 10k and my car tax is 2k. Plus 6% state income tax plus 6% sales tax... getting tired of paying Connecticut money.
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

No "Property" tax on light airplanes. There is a sales tax when you purchase the plane however. I live in Lyme, which abuts Old Lyme, not to be confused with East Lyme.