LSA Partnership in NE Atlanta

Looking for a partner? No, we're not talking about dating. Partnerships are another way to bring down the cost of flying. Use this forum to find like-minded folks in your neighborhood.

Moderator: drseti

gtylerdowdy

LSA Partnership in NE Atlanta

Post by gtylerdowdy »

As January is coming closer and closer, I'm beginning to realize my dream of owning, might not be a reality (for now at least).

My first mistake was finding 'the perfect airplane' yesterday. And going to see it in person, haha. :lol:

In the mean time, I have been calling around to different financial institutions trying to talk through the loan process. About 60% don't finance certified LSAs and 35% want to see that you pretty much have the 80% of the loan amount in your bank account in case anything 'happens'. The best deal I could find was 20% down, which was $16k (I have that) PLUS they wanted to see that I had at least (roughly) $47k in liquid funds in my bank account.

I don't want to come off as negative or complaining. But man, I have a solid down payment, a steady 6 figure income, above average credit, and NO payments besides my mortgage. You'd think I'd be a prime candidate.

Regardless, this wont stop me from pursuing my dream. I will keep pushing and either find someone to work with or hold off until I can pay cash.

If anyone in the area is looking for a partner on a high wing LSA, please let me know. I'd love to buy you a burger, even if it's just to talk about planes :)

Thank you!!
770-344-8691
TimTaylor

Re: LSA Partnership in NE Atlanta

Post by TimTaylor »

Home equity line of credit. Also, others will disagree, don't buy an airplane unless your flying budget is $1000 per month or more.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I used Pilot Bank - no problem or questions asked whatsoever about LSA or certified etc - that was for about 100k with 30% down and with our 250k combined income.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

Too bad I'm not in your area, I'd love to find a partner in an LSA! Don't worry your not alone, I had the same experience looking for possible financing, wanted 20% down (no problem), then wanted my bank accounts to cover their risk. I was thinking: if I had 100% cash in the first place why would I be inquiring about a loan??? A lot of folks won't lend on LSA's because (and I am paraphrasing a loan officer) they are not a known commodity. If it was a 172 or 150, no problem, but an LSA is not something that actuaries have experience with. Glad you are fighting for your dream and not giving up!
Ed
drseti

Post by drseti »

Your first mistake may be talking to a local bank. Did you check with AOPA? They usually have a pretty good handle on lenders nationwide, and their policies.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JJay

Post by JJay »

I ended up getting a loan from my credit union - much easier to work with than banks.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

TimTaylor wrote:Home equity line of credit.
In part, that's how I financed a portion of the funds to buy my 2003 factory demo Cirrus. The rest came from selling my Tiger and a Miata. The rate on the loan was very low, and my financial situation guaranteed an early payoff, which I did.

A good option, as long as one has enough income to definitely cover the loan payments.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Sam

Post by Sam »

Just adding this, I'm available for a partnership in Georgia.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

For financing try US Aviation Finance (USAF). They finance LSAs and made a 15 year loan for my Flight Design CT. I have since paid it off, but they were very easy and pleasant to deal with . Probably not the best loan rate around, about the same as a used car loan IIRC. If you do what I do and get a loan as a "placeholder" until you can pull together the cash you need and then pay it off, it's a very good option.

And you don't have to mortgage your house...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
drseti

Post by drseti »

MrMorden wrote: And you don't have to mortgage your house...
Anyone who mortgages a house to buy a plane had better get a plane large enough to live in. An LSA won't cut it.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote: And you don't have to mortgage your house...
Anyone who mortgages a house to buy a plane had better get a plane large enough to live in. An LSA won't cut it.
A Highlander has a big baggage area... :mrgreen:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA