What are my options?

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

JJ Campbell

What are my options?

Post by JJ Campbell »

I have completed all the requirements to take my Sport Pilot Practical including my CFI signing off on my 8710-11. My Practical was scheduled for today but was postponed due to weather.

Murphy and the Dark Forces of meanness seem to be conspiring against me.

1. The DPE is booked solid and is going on vacation this Friday for several weeks.
2. My Knowledge test expires on 12/31/2019 and will need to be retaken.
3. The plane needs its 100 hour and the altimeter needs to be rebuilt.
4. I knew I was up against the wall in terms of weather and now I'm afraid that there will be little flyable weather until Spring.

If I pull the plug and go to Florida to finish. What will I need to redo? Will the fact that my 8710-11 is signed by a CFI 5 states north of Florida be an Impediment?
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
drseti

Re: What are my options?

Post by drseti »

In answer to your question, any DPE who does Sport Pilot checkrides (not all do) can give you a practical, as long as your 2 hours of required dual checkride prep (and your Recommending CFI's e-signature on IACRA) were within the prior 2 calendar months. Location doesn't matter.

Where are you located, JJ? If you're willing to pay my travel expenses, I can get your practical done before the end of the year. But I need to know what type of aircraft, and need your FTN to access your application. Call me at 570-419-1229 if you wish to discuss.

PS - you may wish to view my EAA Webinar "Adventures in Examining" before your checkride. Here's the link:

http://SportPilotExaminer.US/graphics/dpe.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

JJ Campbell wrote:I have completed all the requirements to take my Sport Pilot Practical including my CFI signing off on my 8710-11. My Practical was scheduled for today but was postponed due to weather.

Murphy and the Dark Forces of meanness seem to be conspiring against me.

1. The DPE is booked solid and is going on vacation this Friday for several weeks.
2. My Knowledge test expires on 12/31/2019 and will need to be retaken.
3. The plane needs its 100 hour and the altimeter needs to be rebuilt.
4. I knew I was up against the wall in terms of weather and now I'm afraid that there will be little flyable weather until Spring.

If I pull the plug and go to Florida to finish. What will I need to redo? Will the fact that my 8710-11 is signed by a CFI 5 states north of Florida be an Impediment?
That's a no brainer.
Put it in the hands of:

Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US

You will not regret this.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

drseti wrote:In answer to your question, any DPE who does Sport Pilot checkrides (not all do) can give you a practical, as long as your 2 hours of required dual checkride prep (and your Recommending CFI's e-signature on IACRA) were within the prior 2 calendar months. Location doesn't matter.

Where are you located, JJ? If you're willing to pay my travel expenses, I can get your practical done before the end of the year. But I need to know what type of aircraft, and need your FTN to access your application. Call me at 570-419-1229 if you wish to discuss.

PS - you may wish to view my EAA Webinar "Adventures in Examining" before your checkride. Here's the link:

http://SportPilotExaminer.US/graphics/dpe.mp4
Dr. Paul,
Thank you for you kind offer. My CFI at W29 Bay Bridge, Helen Woods (who you probably know) tells me the DPE is juggling his schedule to get me in this Thursday or Friday. The weather currently looks promising both days.

BTW, I have already done your excellent Adventures in Examining Webinar and received Wings credit for it.
jj
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
drseti

Post by drseti »

That's great news, JJ. Please give my warmest regards to Helen. You can tell her that, any time her students are having trouble scheduling a checkride. I'm available to help. And, one thing for you to remember on your checkride: dont forget to have fun!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drseti wrote:That's great news, JJ. Please give my warmest regards to Helen. You can tell her that, any time her students are having trouble scheduling a checkride. I'm available to help. And, one thing for you to remember on your checkride: dont forget to have fun!
Yep.... I remember on my checkride with a bazillion hours retired airline pilot, I was all nervous and trying to get my sectionals and flight plan organized in the cockpit before we took off , when he just casually mentioned....forget all that stuff , just fly as if you would normally fly with your GPS and let’s have some fun ... :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois