Upgrading to Private from sport in a glider

Paul Hamilton is one of the first persons to become a DPE (Designated Pilot Examiner) for sport pilots. As a full-time author and sport pilot expert, he writes books and produces DVD's for Aviation Supplies and Academics (ASA). Now Paul has graciously agreed to answer your questions here. Thanks Paul! For more information about Paul, please visit www.Paul-Hamilton.com and www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com.

Moderators: drseti, Paul Hamilton

AviatorCrafty

Upgrading to Private from sport in a glider

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Right now I have a sport pilot certificate rated in ASEL with ~54 hours. It was my understanding since I have more than 40 hours in airplane I would be subject to the requirements that normal private pilots take to get a glider add on rating where its 3 hours of glider time with 10 solo flights and three dual flights (I know these are just minimums but just for discussion sake). I'm trying to join my local gliding club but they're really only accepting transition pilots and they aren't sure if I'd have any more requirements than someone with a private pilot license transitioning to gliders so they put me in the back of the cue unless I can convince them othwerwise. However the only extra requirement I can think of would be to take the written test since I'd be upgrading to private. Am I missing something?
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
3Dreaming

Re: Upgrading to Private from sport in a glider

Post by 3Dreaming »

The only difference between you and a private pilot airplane guy is you have to take the knowledge test. The endorsements should be the same as for a transitioning private pilot. As a glider CFI who knows sport pilot rules I would be happy to talk to them if you wanted. BTW you could add glider at the sport pilot level if they are using a glider that meets the CFR 1.1 definition, though it is even harder to fine two glider CFI's who are willing to do that.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

3Dreaming wrote:The only difference between you and a private pilot airplane guy is you have to take the knowledge test. The endorsements should be the same as for a transitioning private pilot. As a glider CFI who knows sport pilot rules I would be happy to talk to them if you wanted. BTW you could add glider at the sport pilot level if they are using a glider that meets the CFR 1.1 definition, though it is even harder to fine two glider CFI's who are willing to do that.
Thanks for the info!
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

3Dreaming wrote:The only difference between you and a private pilot airplane guy is you have to take the knowledge test. The endorsements should be the same as for a transitioning private pilot. As a glider CFI who knows sport pilot rules I would be happy to talk to them if you wanted. BTW you could add glider at the sport pilot level if they are using a glider that meets the CFR 1.1 definition, though it is even harder to fine two glider CFI's who are willing to do that.
Out of curiosity would that endorsement be 61.31 (d)(2)? Would I still be soloing as a sport pilot or private pilot in that situation?
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

AviatorCrafty wrote:
Out of curiosity would that endorsement be 61.31 (d)(2)? Would I still be soloing as a sport pilot or private pilot in that situation?
That would be the endorsement. The endorsement is for operating an aircraft of a different category than you are rated for. You will still be a sport pilot, but you will be able to fly a non light sport glider. The endorsement will be for a specific aircraft. It is the same endorsement that a sport pilot would get if they wanted to get their private pilot in a non LSA aircraft. Once you pass your checkride your certificate will say private pilot glider sport pilot airplane.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

3Dreaming wrote:
AviatorCrafty wrote:
That would be the endorsement. The endorsement is for operating an aircraft of a different category than you are rated for. You will still be a sport pilot, but you will be able to fly a non light sport glider. The endorsement will be for a specific aircraft. It is the same endorsement that a sport pilot would get if they wanted to get their private pilot in a non LSA aircraft. Once you pass your checkride your certificate will say private pilot glider sport pilot airplane.
Thanks for the insight, hopefully my soon-to-be CFI and/or the new member guy can convince the chief instructor that I'd be mo different than a normal transition pilot in the training sense.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Realized I should give an update to this thread detailing my training so far. Started at my club at the beginning of last month and got two glider flights in (had to decline the third one as I had plans later that day). Sadly it rained just about every day my instructor and I tried to fly so wasn't able to get any more flights in, but our club was putting in a brand new simulator built by a member from a old glider cockpit featuring mostly all the original controls at the time I was joining, so I got to test it out and ended up flying in it all my lessons. I found it very helpful and our club doesn't charge for the sim so I ended up being able to learn all the pre-solo items in the simulator and practice them. My instructor is happy with my progress so far, saying I've been learning pretty quickly, and that he can't wait to see me do things in the real glider before he signs me off for solo (sim time doesn't count as flight time since it's not FAA certified). Sim felt more exaggerated than the real glider but wasn't that far off either from when I was able to fly the real one, but I found it a great way to get introduced to everything in a short amount of time, compared to having to wait months for the weather to align to learn everything. Looking forward to continuing my glider training!
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I'm glad that you were able to convince them to provide you training. Good luck as you move forward.