Special VFR

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Special VFR

Post by Atrosa »

As part of my studying I came across the request for special VFR when the airport was below minimums but just outside the airport was Severe Clear.

My question is twofold. 1) Are sport pilots allowed to ask for and receive SVFR? 2) If so, have any of you sport pilots done this?

Thank you for the free yet valuable education.

-Tony
TimTaylor

Re: Special VFR

Post by TimTaylor »

No. A Sport Pilot cannot be give a special VFR clearance.
Last edited by TimTaylor on Fri Sep 06, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

No 1?
No 2?
or just no. no.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

"AeroSports Update: Sport Pilots; What Are Your Weather Minimums?
The Rules For Sport Pilots Actually Require Them To Fly In Safer Weather Conditions Than A Private Pilot
If you line up 10 sport pilots, or higher-rated pilots operating under sport pilot privileges and ask, “What are the minimum weather conditions you may fly in?” odds are that most of them will answer, “Sport pilots are only allowed to fly in VFR (visual flight rule) conditions.” If that’s the answer we get, the next question should be; “Are you sure?”

The best way to be sure is to look it up in the FARs. Part 61.315 states that sport pilots may not fly when the flight or surface visibility is less than three statute miles. Okay, isn’t three statute miles the same as VFR? The short answer is, not always. In Class G airspace (this is called uncontrolled airspace), below 10,000 feet above sea level, the minimum visibility for VFR flight is only one statute mile. Pilots operating under pilot privileges higher than sport pilot (private, commercial etc.) may fly VFR in Class G airspace with one mile visibility…sport pilots may not.

Another caveat for sport pilots is the use of a procedure called, “Special VFR.” Pilots operating under pilot privileges higher than sport pilot may fly into Class C and D airspace when the visibility is less than the VFR-required 3 statute miles by receiving a special VFR clearance. With this clearance, the visibility requirement drops to one statute mile. Once again, sport pilots must always have a visibility of three statute miles, so special VFR is a no-no for sport pilots.

Sport pilots are trained for simpler flight operations and the sport pilot limitations reflect this. It’s a case of the rules matching the mission. So, if you are operating as a sport pilot and are planning a flight with your flying pals from Class G airspace, your non sport pilot buddies can launch with only one statute mile visibility but, as a sport pilot, you can’t.

Look at it this way, you have to stay home and/or wait for better visibility. It could be argued that the sport pilot is better off for this rule; I hope your flying pals make it to their destination okay! Their departure in low visibility might be legal, but low visibility and “scud running” is a key contributor to accidents.

If you are exercising sport pilot privileges, no matter what pilot certificate you hold, you must follow sport pilot weather rules."
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

SVFR is not just about visibility. What about a sport pilot flying in or out of a class E airport with 10 miles visibility and 900 broken?
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

3Dreaming wrote:SVFR is not just about visibility. What about a sport pilot flying in or out of a class E airport with 10 miles visibility and 900 broken?
A Sport Pilot cannot request or be cleared for Special VFR. However, if a Sport Pilot can maintain required cloud clearances, and minimum obstruction clearances and/or minimum altitude, I don't see that would be a problem. I guess it would depend on when he could climb to 500 agl or 1000 agl, etc and still remain 500 feet below the clouds or 2000 horizontal clearance, but probably not if broken. Sounds a lot like trying to thread a needle.
Retired from flying.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I did a little digging, because I remembered this beng discussed before. As I stated a sport pilot can not get a special VFR for visibility, but they can for less than a 1000 foot ceiling in class E airspace, or Class D, C, and B (if sport pilots are allowed in the particular airspace).

by Paul Hamilton » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:06 pm

Just got off the phone with the FAA and there is no regulation prohibiting sport pilots with an airspace endorsement and 3 miles visibility from requesting SVFR per 91.157 to get around the 1000/500/2000 cloud clearances per 91.155 to fly right next to the clouds and be clear of clouds per SVFR 91.157 :)
Paul is a Sport Pilot CFI/DPE and the expert for ASA who writes the books and produces the DVD's for all pilots flying light sport aircraft.

See www.SportAviationCenter.com www.Sport-Pilot-Training.com and www.BeASportPilot.com to Paul's websites
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Retired from flying.