Pretty close call

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Pretty close call

Post by Warmi »

Had an interesting , pretty close, encounter today with a guy ( presumably NORDO ) rolling onto runway right under me as I was on my very short final.
I was on the radio on every turn ( and afterwardsI triple checked my frequency) - so I assumed he was going to stop but he just kept going ...

https://youtu.be/Phuvo5bxzNQ
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
chicagorandy

Re: Pretty close call

Post by chicagorandy »

Great save doing the go-around. Kudos. Glad you're OK.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Nice job!

Idiot in the other plane. Who doesn’t clear final before taking the runway?
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The radio aside, you would have been pretty hard to see under the conditions. Looking at your shadow, the sun was almost directly in his eyes, and your white airplane with a relative small frontal area is going to be hard to see against that sky looking into the sun.
drseti

Post by drseti »

If I see an aircraft on the perpendicular taxiway, and don't hear a "holding short" call, I just assume they're going to take the runway. If you expect every approach to be a setup to a go-around, and have your hand on the throttle all the way down final, it will be much easier to convert a landing to a takeoff (just as you did, Warmi - and very nicely at that!)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Exactly. Always expect to go around. Be surprised if you get to land.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah, good point Tom - he probably had hell of a time trying to spot anything looking directly into the sun - it was still only around 9 am or so.
Anyway, this only reinforces the point I tend to make that not having a radio ( if it is an option - even portable ) is bordering on neglect because maximum safety is generally achieved via a layered approach ( see and avoid + radio )

As far as going around - yeah, generally when I get back "home" after a flight, I will do either a touch and go or two or some kind of combination of touch and gos and going around etc ... not strictly because I want to practice anything, more because they are just pure fun :-) - after a while, going around becomes like a second instinct.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois