Can ANR headsets mask engine trouble?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

fatsportpilot

Can ANR headsets mask engine trouble?

Post by fatsportpilot »

Is there any risk of subtle cues for engine problems being hidden by active noise reduction?
AviatorCrafty

Re: Can ANR headsets mask engine trouble?

Post by AviatorCrafty »

Not necessarily, I use the lightspeed Sierra headset and whenever I fly I can hear the engine just fine. It makes it much quieter than without ANR but I still hear it no issues.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
drseti

Post by drseti »

I have my students start out with a acoustical headsets, so they can learn normal wind and engine sounds. Some time between first solo and XC, they're ready to graduate to ANR. I personally fly with a Lightspeed Sierra, but I leave it off during startup and runup, so I can listen for anything unusual, no matter how subtle. In flight, I can pick up the usual cues with no problem.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

I would say that, yes, they could conceivably block out or dampen sounds of a certain frequency that might indicate certain engine problems. A low frequency rumbling that might indicate a problem might be attenuated or masked completely as “noise”.

That said, no way I’m flying without ANR. A compromise might be to get in the habit of turning off the noise canceling for the runup, and perhaps periodically in cruise. But not a habit I’ve formed yet.

And a little off-topic, but I too am a happy LightSpeed Sierra wearer.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Everyone seems to love the Lightspeed Sierra. That is the very headset I was thinking of buying. :)
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

fatsportpilot wrote:Everyone seems to love the Lightspeed Sierra. That is the very headset I was thinking of buying. :)
Look for specials.

When I got mine, they were offering $250 off if you traded in any old ANR headset in any condition. I had some really beat up LightSpeed 15XL’s, so used those. That’s enough of a discount that it would be worth finding a beat up set of ANR headsets on eBay and using those. I’ve heard they just crush the headsets they receive anyway, but have not verified that fact.

As an aside, I’ve had exemplary customer service from LightSpeed for a couple decades now.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I have two pair of the Lightspeed Zulu 3's and they are nothing short of AMAZING. As posted earlier so is their customer service, amazing. I do start my plane without a headset on but once the avionics come on I put on my headset. I hear the engine just fine, if the steady hum of the engine ever changes you could simply lift up an ear cup and listen for issues that way.
drseti

Post by drseti »

As an aside, the soft goods of the Lightspeed (ear seals, headband cushion , and mic muff) do need to be replaced every few years (they recommend every 18 months, but I think that's excessive). The refresher kit costs $50. I just ordered one for my 5-year-old Sierra headset, and they included a free 5-year membership in their loyalty program ("Wingman Club"). That gets me 30% off any Lightspeed accessories for the next 5 years.

Notice: I have no commercial affiliation with Lightspeed. I'm just a satisfied customer. I've also flown with the Bose, and it's a good product too.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

I just ordered a Lightspeed Zulu 3! Once it arrives I will see just how much of a difference it makes with a Rotax engine.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

fatsportpilot wrote:I just ordered a Lightspeed Zulu 3! Once it arrives I will see just how much of a difference it makes with a Rotax engine.
I'm glad you went for it and ordered the Zulu 3 over the Sierra that you were first thinking of buying. You will not be disappointed, I love my Zulu 3 headsets. As for the "difference" you refer to, if you are going from a standard, non ANR headset to the Zulu 3 it'll be night and day. Please be sure to let us know how you like them.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

fatsportpilot wrote:I just ordered a Lightspeed Zulu 3! Once it arrives I will see just how much of a difference it makes with a Rotax engine.
I recently upgraded from Sierra to Zulu 3 - after about 3 months of using it , I would say it is a bit more quiet, lighter and in general less bulky. On the downside, the mike is a big step backward ... shorter , can’t flip it around - I find myself constantly adjusting it in flight while I never had to do so with Sierra.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:I recently upgraded from Sierra to Zulu 3 - after about 3 months of using it , I would say it is a bit more quiet, lighter and in general less bulky. On the downside, the mike is a big step backward ... shorter , can’t flip it around - I find myself constantly adjusting it in flight while I never had to do so with Sierra.
This is certainly odd, I have found no issues with the mic length on my Zulu 3's but I never owned a Sierra. Never have to touch the mic while flying. Maybe move it for a drink of water but that's it. I did have to get used to it only flipping one way though, I share your concern there but I haven't thought about this until you just brought it up. Still an amazing headset. :mrgreen:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
Warmi wrote:I recently upgraded from Sierra to Zulu 3 - after about 3 months of using it , I would say it is a bit more quiet, lighter and in general less bulky. On the downside, the mike is a big step backward ... shorter , can’t flip it around - I find myself constantly adjusting it in flight while I never had to do so with Sierra.
This is certainly odd, I have found no issues with the mic length on my Zulu 3's but I never owned a Sierra. Never have to touch the mic while flying. Maybe move it for a drink of water but that's it. I did have to get used to it only flipping one way though, I share your concern there but I haven't thought about this until you just brought it up. Still an amazing headset. :mrgreen:
Yes, it is certainly a great headset .... I am just not sure why they regressed with their physical mic design so much from their previous ( Sierra ) model which was much more flexible in that regard.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Time for a PIREP! Been flying with the Lightspeed Zulu 3 for a while (not enough yet to run through the first AA battery though). They're incredible, and lighter and more comfortable than the David Clarks. Using them doesn't mask all engine sounds. It lets through variations in sound so in some ways it amplifies engine anomalies. I can hear roughness more easily because the ANR isn't able to compensate fast enough for engine variations and only suppresses the constant hum. The higher pitch whine of the engine that normally is hidden by the rest of the noise gets through a little, so the ANR doesn't work well on the high frequencies but great on the loud lower ones.

Pros:
- ANR works very well
- Feels very sturdy with the metal band and is still comfortable
- Kevlar wires are resistant to abuse and tangling
- Even if the battery dies it still works as a regular headset

Cons:
- Unlike the Lightspeed Sierra, it is made in China (Sierra is made in the USA)
- It cost $850

I look forward to flying with it more and seeing if it stands the test of time.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Glad to hear you are enjoying the Lightspeed headset. I never thought they had any negative effect on engine noise or lack thereof. I agree they are super comfortable with the plush ear cups and headband. The ANR is super quiet and the Bluetooth to my iPhone is great for music. I've had my Lightspeed headsets for 7 years now and wouldn't use anything else.

As for the batteries dying, it'll take a LONG time.....but carry a spare set of batteries in your plane. The "auto off" feature will help extend battery life. I carry a spare set of batteries now because I had my batteries die on a flight recently and my ears were bleeding when I returned to my home airport. :mrgreen: And it was only a 12 minute flight. I stopped at a nearby airport where I regularly get MOGAS fuel now and just as I landed the ANR shut off. I thought something was wrong but realized the batteries died. Had to fly back to my airport with no ANR and it sucked. :shock: