Can ANR headsets mask engine trouble?

This forum is for safety-related discussions. Be safe out there!

Moderator: drseti

fatsportpilot

Re: Can ANR headsets mask engine trouble?

Post by fatsportpilot »

They're so different from my old Bose (non-aviation) ANR headphones that ate through the AA battery like there was no tomorrow and when the battery died, it wasn't just the ANR that stopped working. They just turned off and no sound went through. Terrible design. These Lightspeeds are great. Battery dies = they become a normal passive headset but still work just fine.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

fatsportpilot wrote:They're so different from my old Bose (non-aviation) ANR headphones that ate through the AA battery like there was no tomorrow and when the battery died, it wasn't just the ANR that stopped working. They just turned off and no sound went through. Terrible design. These Lightspeeds are great. Battery dies = they become a normal passive headset but still work just fine.
True with one correction , they become relatively crappy passive headset :D

Without juice they do revert to being passive headset but nowhere near as effective as dedicated passive headsets.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:True with one correction , they become relatively crappy passive headset :D
I can confirm that this is a true statement. :mrgreen:

Since it's only happened once now in 7 years my ears will recover. I now keep two AA batteries in my center console armrest so it doesn't happen again. That 12 minutes without ANR felt like a lifetime. :shock:
malexander

Post by malexander »

I have 4 Zulu 3s and a Tango wireless. I really like the Lightspeeds.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

ShawnM wrote: Tue Dec 29, 2020 8:55 am I stopped at a nearby airport where I regularly get MOGAS fuel now and just as I landed the ANR shut off. I thought something was wrong but realized the batteries died. Had to fly back to my airport with no ANR and it sucked. :shock:
That just happened to me too! Flying difficult approach with cross wind and I'm focused on the runway and the tall trees and power lines right in front of it. Then I hear a loud "BANG!" and the engine suddenly sounds SO loud and rough like I just blew a muffler. I panic slightly and look at the gauges to see what happened and then I realize that the headset battery just died and the sudden pop startled the shit out of me.