Red Bull Skydiving Plane Swap

Topics related to aviation provided mostly for humor and amusement purposes. Offensive or abusive posts will be deleted.

Moderator: drseti

designrs

Red Bull Skydiving Plane Swap

Post by designrs »

Note the FAA statement at the end of the article:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/red-bull-pla ... in-arizona
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
JJay

Re: Red Bull Skydiving Plane Swap

Post by JJay »

I'm no fan of government bureaucracy, but I agree with the FAA on this one. Other than bragging rights, these guys gained nothing by risking their pilot tickets. If anyone watched it live, I wonder how they kept themselves awake. Another aircraft that will never fly again - that's all that came out of it.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

I say it is a free country… as long as it does not affects my insurance prices, I am cool with it.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
drseti

Post by drseti »

Unfortunately, Warmi, every accident affects your insurance rates. We GA pilots are still paying for Boeing's 737 Max accidents! And, every stunt like this one is liable to result in more restrictive regulations for the rest of us.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

drseti wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:50 pm We GA pilots are still paying for Boeing's 737 Max accidents!
How so Dr. Paul?
- Richard
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

We are all part of the "risk pool" of aviation. There are smaller pools within the big pool, but when major losses occur, it affects ALL of the insurers in the industry – most specifically the underwriters who back up the individual companies' risks. The marginally profitable companies get out of the business of airplane insurance, thus reducing competition. Those that remain in the business have to absorb the losses and the underwriting costs go up for all insurers in that industry.

We really do ALL pay for even the most "remote" accident / incident that generates a loss.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX
designrs

Post by designrs »

It’s enough to make one think about not having insurance… I have 500+ hours in SportCruiser and not a scratch. Thousands paid in insurance. My chances of crashing a Boeing 737 Max is zero percent. I don’t currently own a plane, but I’ll be dammed if I’m going to pay for someone else’s risk. I’d be tempted to self-insure my own risk at this point.
- Richard
drseti

Post by drseti »

designrs wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:37 am
How so Dr. Paul?
Every year since the first 737 Max accident, GA accidents and claims have been down, yet my insurance premiums have gone up at least 20% per year - every year! Since the underwriters took such a bath on those Boeings, it stands to reason that they're going to try to recoup their losses from somewhere. It looks as though we GA owners are that "somewhere."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

drseti wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:54 pm Every year since the first 737 Max accident… my insurance premiums have gone up at least 20% per year - every year… it stands to reason that they're going to try to recoup their losses from somewhere. It looks as though we GA owners are that "somewhere."
It stands to GREED. I’ll be dammed if I’m going to be responsible for bailing out Boeing and/or foreign airlines. If I continue further about insurance companies financially abusing low-risk GA customers for unrelated losses my rant will turn absolutely nasty. So I’ll drop it here.
- Richard