New Tecnam P2008 Photos

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Daidalos

Re: The LSA/SP Conumbrum...

Post by Daidalos »

Jack Tyler wrote:<snip>.... The problem with that model, as I think everyone realizes, is that the SP license which was to serve as the main driver for LSA sales, hasn't materialized. After the initial flood of 2000 SP issuances, only about 500 new Sport Pilots appear each year. There are only 4000 Sport Pilots in the entire USA (or about 80 SPs for each state), so it's unfair to expect an entire aviation segment will thrive on that..... </snip>
I agree with just about everything Jack wrote, but how do you account for sales to aging licensed PP or higher without medicals?

In fact I see the P2008 as one of the higher end LSA's appealing to that market rather than as a trainer.
Marcus - WA2DCI
PP ASEL Instrument

Daidalos Greek: Δαίδαλος
Remember don't fly too close to the Sun.
Jack Tyler

Re: New Tecnam P2008 Photos

Post by Jack Tyler »

"...how do you account for sales to aging licensed PP or higher without medicals?"

There's not much 'accounting' needed, I'm afraid. LSA sales have been anemic, and have significantly diminished over the last year...and that's despite the initial emergence of what everyone hoped would be a flood of Sport Pilots plus that assumed eager backlog of aging Private Pilots.

One related and obviously personal observation in this regard: We assumed we would be seeking a LSA a/c when we got back into aviation after our sailing adventures were concluded. But despite the "obvious logic" of that choice (new panel, new airframe, lower fuel burn and so forth), it turns out there are many reasons why that choice didn't materialize. When trying to be realistic about the 'mission' before picking the plane, we realized the payload was (way) too restrictive, the payload volume also didn't work for us, we hated the idea of giving up the somewhat greater certainty of flying an IFR equipped a/c, bigger planes are more comfortable in the air, and one can buy a lot of fuel and repairs if only spending 1/3 or 2/5 as much for the plane and getting more performance. So what might seem the obvious preferred choice wasn't...for us. Doesn't mean we don't think there are some great LSA a/c out there, though.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Flight Design CTLSi sales are picking up quite a bit and sales are coming on strong with the new 912isi engine. They are already in the US and more on the way with orders waiting.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
drseti

Post by drseti »

I'm curious how many of the 912i engines have made it into the fleet so far. Can you quantify that, Roger?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
roger lee

Post by roger lee »

Hi Paul,

This isn't official, but I have talked to a couple of dealers and a distributor. In in country for delivery now are at least 4 maybe 6. Airtime Aviation in Tulsa, Ok has 14 on order. I don't know for sure about the other distributors. I haven't talked to them. Tulsa sells the most by far. He usually gets three at a time and has them sold before they hit the front door. The 912si seems to be selling well.
Roger Lee
Tucson, Az.
LSRM-A, Rotax Instructor & Rotax IRC
(520) 574-1080 (Home) Try Home First.
(520) 349-7056 (Cell)
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

There are several new P2008s sold also with the new injected rotax. I believe Tecnam was the first manufacturer to test the new 912i in actual flight and likely has more actual testing time than any other manufacturer. Remember that worldwide, Tecnam is by far the largest producer of light sport aircraft. They have had a slow start here in the states but sales are ramping up with the P2008.

The first P2008 with the 912i should be in the states now and custom avionics are being installed. The next P2008s with the 912i are expected by the end of the year. I believe there is one unsold P2008 in that shipment so if someone has interest contact me and I would be happy to sell it to you!

I am not aware of anyone who has actual flight time in the new 912i here in the states other than lockwoods aircam although I am anxious to here some flight reports!

Jake
Tad Olmsted

Post by Tad Olmsted »

Sorry for not posting in a while fellas, I have been slammed at my new home in Winter Haven, FL. I partnered up with Tecnam North America in May 2012 and things are going great. One thing I bring to the table is more technical support and parts support. I am available 7 days a week by phone or email. Please do not hesitate to drop me a line if there is a need.

I am still a Flight Design, Alto, Aeroprakt, evektar and of course Tecnam Authorized Service Center. Mergeing with a great company like TNA/HOVA allows me to offer a better service and more resources than before. It is our goal to keep our customers safe and taken care of and able to afford to fly their planes without breaking the bank.

With two facilities for sales, MX, parts and support, we have broadened our range of coverage for more customers to take advantage of. I have worked on every LSA on the market and enjoy the category. All of my Service centers products differ in their own way and they are all great products. I love the LSA category.

I will be at the Sebring EXPO and I hope to meet some more of you.
Tad Olmsted
Director of Maintenence
2073 US HWY 92 KGIF
863-446-3001 cell
[email protected]
AP 3352190 IA, Rotax Heavy Certified

DEPENDABILITY... the certainty of proper performance of duty
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Tad,

You are a great resource for us at Tecnam. It is great to have someone like you on board who really knows LSAs.
Looking forward to seeing you at Sebring.
I am also hoping to get a little input from you for the expo forum presentation we are doing on Tecnam aircraft ownership, maintainance and helpful tips.

Mark
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Jake,

Looking at the P2008 panel....why all the round gauges when the dual Garmins provide the same info, with redundancy?

I do like fuel gauges! Much more than looking for fuel levels in tubes. How accurate are they?

Phil Solomon makes a lot of sense and some excellent points.

I have been touring the Charlotte area looking for LSA flight schools and trying out various types..maybe to rent but also to buy. When I find the right fit.

Cessna all offer C162 because they have to. The older style schools really do only offer 35-40 year old planes. At one they had 172s at $130 hr and their "LSA" is a Champ. Nice but...hand prop, no electric, no grass, no radio and couldn't hear CFI. GPS or Rotax? they said.."Say what?"

CT is a 2.5 hour drive but I flew the CTLS.

Table Rock Aviation at HKY is REALLY good and Brandon runs a top notch school. For $100 hr I flew a fairly new Cub Crafters Cub and got checked out in recent models of Remos GX, also $100hr. Gas there is cheap, nice FBO, hangarage. So far it's the model. Will stick with it whilst looking.

Gulp...I'm going to check out the Skycatcher but the school has been difficult to deal with and schedule. But the plane is new and I'd like to see the Continental/Cessna combo. There is another school 2.5 hours away.

I'd like to see more choices of LSA but they're far away....but I might just for the experience. Might also go visit Legend in Texas.

Mission is..retired airline pilot, 59, looking for fun flying so I can do as much as I can depending on fewest people. Have owned a plane before, so I know the way it is. Wife doesn't much like small planes so the useful load issue is minimized mostly.

This has been my experience since Sept....if I was an 'ordinary Joe' looking to get into Sport LSA I'd have given up by now.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

The reason for the engine gauges on the right panel is they came with the plane and I didn't want to give up space on the g3x screen. Wanted the largest moving map possible.

Don't understand what you mean about the redundancy thing. If you are talking about the six pack gauges around the pfd it is for the same reason we have them in certified part 23 aircraft. In all your years flying did you never have a pfd failure? I have had a few.

The fuel gauges are very accurate.
Jake