So it is now official ( light sport and other airworthiness changes )

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

So it is now official ( light sport and other airworthiness changes )

Post by Warmi »

https://www.eaa.org/eaa/news-and-public ... fdfpOXFx78

It is just a matter of time.... at least that’s how I read it.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Atrosa

Re: So it is now official ( light sport and other airworthiness changes )

Post by Atrosa »

Wow 4 place. That is a game changer and in the right direction in my humble opinion.
Atrosa

Post by Atrosa »

Oh it just got me thinking. I wonder if additional Vans products will be allowed. A 180 mph LSA would be sweet.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Elwell did not announce a date for the proposed rule to be released, but promised that it would be "worth the wait."
English translation: "Don't hold your breath. It won't happen within your lifetime."
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

That’s great news! With BasicMed, it won’t hugely affect me, but anything that makes more planes accessible to more pilots is a net positive, assuming no negative safety effects.

But as the Professor implies, I would NOT let this carrot-on-a-stick influence decisions made today. It could take years for the changes to take effect, and like it or not our flying careers are ultimately finite in duration.

The one thing with the biggest impact for me would be this:

For older aircraft not being used for commercial purposes, owners will be able to exchange the standard airworthiness certificate for a special airworthiness certificate — similar to certificates held by experimental aircraft. "That means the owner will be able to install lower-cost, safety-enhancing equipment — the kind that is widely available for the experimental market — without an STC or 337." Such a change would also have the potential to expand the ability to substitute for parts that are no longer available, and perhaps even the ability for owners to perform additional maintenance on their aircraft.”

Depending on the exact form, the idea of being able to take a Citabria, Maule, Cessna 180 or Tiger the equivalent of “EXPERIMENTAL” would greatly expand the scope of planes I’d consider partnering in going forward. My Sky Arrow suits my needs nicely now, but a bigger, faster plane would still have some appeal for certain missions.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, my point was that this is no longer a mere speculation - how long will it take ... who knows.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

When and if it ever happens, it will be a good thing. I'm not holding my breath as to what it will actually say or when it will actually happen, if ever.
Retired from flying.