P2008 with Rotax 914 Turbo

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

MKL

Re: P2008 with Rotax 914 Turbo

Post by MKL »

3Dreaming wrote:I've flown a P2008 with 912ULS. It was an okay flying airplane, but there wasn't anything special about how it flew.
Yes, same, I didn't find the climb out rate as expected with 2 POB, thus interest in 914. My 912 Eaglet will do 1800 ft per min with 2 POB at 65kts full power on Climb - allows me to land on short strips in New Zealand.
craigv

Post by craigv »

I don’t know what the Sport Pilot and LSA rules are in New Zealand but the Sling TSi with the Rotax 915 gives you more of everything you are asking for, at a lower cost, than the P2008 and are extremely well made. They are flown all the time off of dirt and grass strips in South Africa.

I have a Aerospool Dynamic LSA and had a highly desired Mooney Encore for longer trips. Sold the Mooney because I got sick of constantly throwing money into it , and there were some VERY LARGE upcoming bills I didn’t want to face. Went to South Africa for the owner assisted build late last year, and now this aircraft is somewhere in-transit, hopefully not lost during this CV craziness.

Sling was supposed to debut the new high wing TSi, with a composite cabin at Oshkosh this year.
If you look at the Sling website, their performance numbers are conservative compared to what I saw while flying their TSi.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

craigv wrote:I don’t know what the Sport Pilot and LSA rules are in New Zealand but the Sling TSi with the Rotax 915 gives you more of everything you are asking for, at a lower cost, than the P2008 and are extremely well made. They are flown all the time off of dirt and grass strips in South Africa.

I have a Aerospool Dynamic LSA and had a highly desired Mooney Encore for longer trips. Sold the Mooney because I got sick of constantly throwing money into it , and there were some VERY LARGE upcoming bills I didn’t want to face. Went to South Africa for the owner assisted build late last year, and now this aircraft is somewhere in-transit, hopefully not lost during this CV craziness.

Sling was supposed to debut the new high wing TSi, with a composite cabin at Oshkosh this year.
If you look at the Sling website, their performance numbers are conservative compared to what I saw while flying their TSi.

Yeah, Sling TSI is a great option but ... but with 140 knots cruise is is not a replacement for Encore , kind of like right in the middle between a typical LSA and Encore.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
craigv

Post by craigv »

My Encore had the TKS anti-icing system, and so was a little slower than book, and the TSi was a little faster than I expected. Overall the Encore MIGHT be 10 kts faster than the TSi. The TSi loves to fly high with that turbo and will get there quicker, so I’m not sure if that cancels any speed advantage. I preferred the additional speed and ability to handle turbulence in the Encore, and prefer everything else in the TSi. T/O and landing distances, rough field handling, interior comfort for passengers, ingress and egress, cost to buy, cost to run, cost to maintain, availability of parts and especially the Rotax engine.
Warmi - Thanks for the excellent observation. I always appreciate your comments.
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

The TSi does handle nicely. I’d say the TSi is reliably a 150+ knot airplane at altitude.
Attachments
A148F1B3-2956-4D0C-9D45-29E1DB0088C8.jpeg
A148F1B3-2956-4D0C-9D45-29E1DB0088C8.jpeg (119.72 KiB) Viewed 2325 times
MKL

Post by MKL »

craigv wrote:I don’t know what the Sport Pilot and LSA rules are in New Zealand but the Sling TSi with the Rotax 915 gives you more of everything you are asking for, at a lower cost, than the P2008 and are extremely well made. They are flown all the time off of dirt and grass strips in South Africa.

I must admit I like the high wing, the Eaglet's been great due to that, sometimes shade to sit under, we have a lot of sun here in NZ :)
111222444 copy.png
111222444 copy.png (87.54 KiB) Viewed 2242 times
MKL

Post by MKL »

Warmi wrote:

Yeah, Sling TSI is a great option but ... but with 140 knots cruise is is not a replacement for Encore , kind of like right in the middle between a typical LSA and Encore.
Wouldn't mind trying the Sling though, did use a Sport Cruiser - the sun was far too hot.
eaglet on beach 12.png
eaglet on beach 12.png (49.21 KiB) Viewed 2241 times