Tecnam P2008

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

The 120kts for the regulations is maximum level flight speed at sea level under standard conditions. If the airplane can achieve a higher true airspeed at altitude that is OK. Tom
seastar

Airspeed

Post by seastar »

3Dreaming wrote:The 120kts for the regulations is maximum level flight speed at sea level under standard conditions. If the airplane can achieve a higher true airspeed at altitude that is OK. Tom
Tom is correct. There is NO speed limit at altitude, only at sea level and standard conditions.
For example a turbocharged aircraft can easily achieve higher speeds at altitude than at sea level.
Also, turbine aircraft with flat rated engines increase speed with altitude.
Another example is Cubcrafters new 180 HP Super Sport Cub that uses a large displacement engine (340 cubic inches) to achieve it's 80 HP continous limit at higher than sea level altitudes and therefore goes faster than the sea level limit when at altitude.
Bill
David Rizzio

Newest Tecnam LSA model tours California | General Aviation

Post by David Rizzio »

From http://www.generalaviationnews.com/?p=31045

Newest Tecnam LSA model tours California
Posted by Janice Wood · November 1, 2010

During the first two weeks of November, West Coast Sport Aircraft, a regional distributor for the Special Light Sport Aircraft (S-LSA) manufacturer Tecnam, will be demonstrating the P2008 advanced LSA at airports around the San Francisco Bay and Greater Los Angeles area, culminating with the “Airportfest” display at AOPA Summit in Long Beach, California.

The P2008 was first announced at Seabring 2010, and is the result of Tecnam’s acquisition of the Composite Aeronautic Group (CAG) in 2008. The P2008 shares the same wing and stabilator construction seen in the P92 Eaglet and P2002 Sierra models, however its carbon fiber fuselage offers a wider cabin, larger baggage area, and smoother aerodynamic lines than its non-composite siblings, and features an electronic flight information system (EFIS) option of the Garmin G3X or Advanced Flight Systems AF4500 displays, according to company officials.

“We wanted it to look the best it possibly could by taking advantage of the strength and lightness of carbon fiber,” explains Tecnam North America’s C.E.O. Phil Solomon, “while not losing the capability for easy repair that metal structures bring.”

Featuring a 48 inch wide cabin and true 120 knot cruise speed, the P2008 is powered by a Rotax 912 engine. U.S. deliveries of the first production aircraft begin in December.

Starting Nov. 1, the P2008 will be touring airports in the San Francisco bay area before heading to Southern California for the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) Aviation Summit.

For more information: 831-234-1049 or WestCoastSportAircraft.com
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I flew a Tecnam P2008 on 13 Mar 2011 around Iowa City and was impressed. It got up to speed, but after noting that I didn't pay much further attention to speed. It flew very predictably and as expected. Good control response, but not edgy. Had to use rudders somewhat, but no more than expected. Good stability. Flew 45° turns each direction and was very responsive and held the line very well. Power off stall was straight ahead and as expected, same with recovery. Electric trim was easy to use and was accurate. It could be set right on. With full power, I slowly pulled the nose up until it was just below a stall and barely climbing. Used rudder to effect turns and it was very stable and predictable. No tendency to snap or drop a wing.
I'm 6'0 250lb and was able to fit in well. No problem with headphone band. I wish the stick was a little farther back toward me, but I could have sat one notch forward on the seat track. Visibility forward and down was good. I'd have liked a bit better visibility up and to the rear.
All in all, a very impressive airplane that was a joy to fly. Certainly one I'll consider when I decide on an LSA.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

JN:

Good Pirep - nice job.

It would be useful to hear you add what the price was for the a/c you flew as equipped.

Jack
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

I don't know what it cost. It belonged to Mark, whom I met through this forum and who flew it down from Mankato and let me fly it a bit.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A
Targetbuster

Post by Targetbuster »

jnmeade wrote:I don't know what it cost. It belonged to Mark, whom I met through this forum and who flew it down from Mankato and let me fly it a bit.
I took about 15 hrs instruction in a P2002. It was the plane I soloed in. I agree with everything you said. There is a nearly new one on Barnstormers for 90K. :)
Sport Pilot
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

I own the P2008 and had great time meeting up with jnmeade and flying around his home turf. He showed me around the area and we flew over some of his farmland. A great way to spend a sunday afternoon.

I purchased the P2008 from Tecnam north america. They have sold two P2008s so far. one is here in MN and the other went to california I believe. Starting price on the P2008 is 134000. I have a fairly loaded up plane with dual G3x. When equipped the same the CTLS was about 10000 less but you get more plane in my opinion. I felt it was worth it for me. Some of the things the tecnam has that I did not see on most other LSAs are:

1. leather seats that slide forward/backward on actual seat rails and recline
2. Dual in the wing, behind the spar 14.7Ga fuel tanks with in the panel electric fuel guages that actually work.
3. Andair fuel selector
4. Stainless steel brake lines
5. Electric flaps and trim
6. AOA stall warning. I really like this
7. very robust oleo type front nosegear suspension.
8. Car door type door datches and doors that are airtight
10. True 120 kt speed
11. looks like a typical part 23 airplane. (in my opinion)

I know we are all partial to the planes we fly. I suppose I am just trying to justify spending the extra money. Different planes fit different people for different reasons.

Jake
drseti

Post by drseti »

jake wrote:I suppose I am just trying to justify spending the extra money.
There's never a justification for buying any airplane, Jake. Fortunately, we don't need one... :wink:

Keep enjoying your Tecnam, and fly it safely.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zaitcev

Post by zaitcev »

By all accounts Tecnam should be able to dethrone Flight Design on the strength of their product, but I suspect that the old reputation for awful support is what drags them down. Buyers may be wary and waiting to see if things are improved. I am eager for any new reports of repairs and service.
ArionAv8or

Post by ArionAv8or »

zaitcev wrote:By all accounts Tecnam should be able to dethrone Flight Design on the strength of their product, but I suspect that the old reputation for awful support is what drags them down. Buyers may be wary and waiting to see if things are improved. I am eager for any new reports of repairs and service.
That along with the price. Tecnams are pretty pricey IMO, the one I saw at Sebring was over $170K equipped the same as mine for $116K.
Mark Gregor

Post by Mark Gregor »

Tecnam north america has their preproduction demo P2008 at the shows equipped with a garmin 430. Including installation this adds olmost $15000 to the price.

If you deduct the 430 it is priced simularly to other high end LSAs.
When I priced a simularly equipped CTLS the P2008 was still more but not alot more.

Also the production P2008 has some nice improvements over the demo that potential customers likely wont know about when looking at the demo. I didnt know until I looked at the actual plane and said whats up? Apparently TNA didnt know about them either.
I believe Tecnam has very good product, they just are not moving forward like they should be here in the states.

Jake
jnmeade

Post by jnmeade »

The Aviation Consumer Apri 2011 edition has a favorable review of the Tecnam P2008. They like the styling, performance and interior/cabion and gave a negative on the price. The reviewer sees it as a plane for the big single/twin flier who is stepping down to Sport Pilot or for the money pilots stepping up but staying LSA.
Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ATP CFI-I/ME/G LSRM-A