Skycatcher's End

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FlyingForFun

Re: Skycatcher's End

Post by FlyingForFun »

Delete
Last edited by FlyingForFun on Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Tyler

Post by Jack Tyler »

Paul, I suspected that was the answer because of the LoA requirement otherwise applied to mods. And so now we reflect on the last 6-7-8 years when all those early S-LSA models were being rolled out. Must be a sad collection of orphans out there by now, and presumably with the mfgrs. apparently not making parts or issuing LoA's. Yet another reason to move to the E-LSA category.

Thanks for the answer, Paul.
Jack
Flying in/out KBZN, Bozeman MT in a Grumman Tiger
Do you fly for recreational purposes? Please visit http://www.theraf.org
drseti

Post by drseti »

Jack Tyler wrote:Yet another reason to move to the E-LSA category.
For a personal airplane, ELSA makes good sense on multiple levels (to which Eddie can attest). Flight schools are, unfortunately, constrained, and have to go the SLSA route. Thus, it behooves a flight school to choose very carefully, buying aircraft only from manufacturers that are very likely to be around in the long term, supporting their product. This is what makes the Cessna CEO's terse comment at NBAA especially disturbing - how many flight schools bought the Skycatcher simply because it was a Cessna, and thus unlikely to become orphaned?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Jack Tyler wrote:Must be a sad collection of orphans out there by now, and presumably with the mfgrs. apparently not making parts or issuing LoA's.
When I was zeroing in on my choice of Light Sports back in 2006, one factor was the "1947" in the below logo:

And yet 3i did end up going through some sort of Italian bankruptcy/reorganization after I bought my plane.

And was picked up by a large Italian conglomerate:

http://www.magnaghiaeronautica.it/en/Co ... fault.aspx

So, for now I have support. Going forward, who knows?

Anyway, it's a tough world out there for Light Sport manufacturers. Or any aircraft manufacturer, for that matter.

Best to keep in mind that a manufacturer can be selling a ton of planes and still be losing money - I got to follow along with that for years with Cirrus.

To live in "interesting times" is a Chinese curse.

Just sayin'!
Last edited by FastEddieB on Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

I'm not suggesting that one doesn't evaluate the manufacturer and local importer but size (or brand) has never related to company viability in general aviation. Cessna, Piper, Beechcraft, Mooney, et. Al. have all gone through acquisitions, reorganizations and bankruptcies every 10 years or so. I'm not so sure that in today's GA market that a smaller, non-public company is better positioned to accept lower profits than one that has responsibilities to shareholders.
dave
garbageman

Post by garbageman »

I love this forum, and the characters that populate it. I too fly for fun now, having amassed about 8000 hrs in B-52's, SA-16's, and an assortment of other airplanes. But let me get to the topic at hand. In the beginning of Light Sport, Cessna believed the best way to get into the LSA business, was to make a deal with an established European manufacturer. They met with Tecnam in Italy, and made Tecnam on offer they thought Tecnam could not refuse. Tecnam LOL'ed and Cessna went on to design and build the 162. Tecnam is still here, building and selling a variety of LSA's, certified aircraft, micro-lites, and even one that is mostly composit (for you know who). Their sales in the US are slow, but check out the rest of the world.
David
drseti

Post by drseti »

garbageman wrote:having amassed about 8000 hrs in B-52's, SA-16's,
Thank you for your service, David.
<hand salute>
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

As a C162 owner I have to admit I am disappointed by the decision to give up on the aircraft, but I understand it. Given the bottom line attitude of the management, I wouldn't be surprised if Cessna discontinued other piston singles as well.

However, right now I don't consider the Skycatcher an "orphan" since Cessna is still in business and I do believe they will continue to support the aircraft.

I considered many LSA's before settling on the Skycatcher and it is my opinion that the Skycatcher is the best engineered LSA out there. While weight is a major issue, there are still enough Americans who haven't been "super sized" to keep Skycatchers busy at the right locations.

Every Private Pilot,who has flown my C162 has loved it, and many were surprised how much they liked the aircraft given the negativity they read on the Internet.

The C162 is proving to be a very robust trainer, and with over 700 hard rental hours on mine, it is no worse for the wear.

Too bad it didn't work out. But when you think about it, what percentage of the population are pilots or wannabe pilots, of that population what percentage want to own any sort of aircraft, and of that population what percentage want to own an LSA? All the majors have learned their lesson, there is no serious money in it. The business model of taking a loss on the production of trainers so that pilots that trained in a Cessna, Piper or Beechcraft will then buy a new aircraft from the manufacture doesn't work anymore.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

VL Roberts wrote:As a C162 owner I have to admit I am disappointed by the decision to give up on the aircraft, but I understand it. Given the bottom line attitude of the management, I wouldn't be surprised if Cessna discontinued other piston singles as well.

However, right now I don't consider the Skycatcher an "orphan" since Cessna is still in business and I do believe they will continue to support the aircraft.

I considered many LSA's before settling on the Skycatcher and it is my opinion that the Skycatcher is the best engineered LSA out there. While weight is a major issue, there are still enough Americans who haven't been "super sized" to keep Skycatchers busy at the right locations.

Every Private Pilot,who has flown my C162 has loved it, and many were surprised how much they liked the aircraft given the negativity they read on the Internet.

The C162 is proving to be a very robust trainer, and with over 700 hard rental hours on mine, it is no worse for the wear.

Too bad it didn't work out. But when you think about it, what percentage of the population are pilots or wannabe pilots, of that population what percentage want to own any sort of aircraft, and of that population what percentage want to own an LSA? All the majors have learned their lesson, there is no serious money in it. The business model of taking a loss on the production of trainers so that pilots that trained in a Cessna, Piper or Beechcraft will then buy a new aircraft from the manufacture doesn't work anymore.
It could be that many years hence the low-production 162 will become a sought after classic like the 185!
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Funny thing, the car I own is a Hyundai Elantra Touring, (which I consider to be a great all around vehicle), which was designed and sold in Europe . Hyundai decided to sell it in the US and it was a failure and discontinued. I'm starting to see a pattern.
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

Speaking of expectations vs reality, the FAA had predicted that by now there would 5000 micro jets in the system .
drseti

Post by drseti »

Gee, do you suppose FAA's funding is correlated with their prdictions? :wink:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
VL Roberts

Post by VL Roberts »

drseti wrote:Gee, do you suppose FAA's funding is correlated with their prdictions? :wink:
Yes, but there was a lot of talk by "industry observers" of the skies being darkened by small jets that cost less than 1 million. Some similarity to many people's expectations for LSA.
Jim Stewart

Post by Jim Stewart »

VL Roberts wrote:Speaking of expectations vs reality, the FAA had predicted that by now there would 5000 micro jets in the system .
Yeah. And Moller said we'd all be driving skycars.
PP-ASEL, Flight Design CTSW owner.
CTLSi

Post by CTLSi »

Last edited by CTLSi on Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.