Anyone know the jabiru 170?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

saintlfd

Anyone know the jabiru 170?

Post by saintlfd »

Does anyone out there have experience in the jab 170? Is it a good cross country machine? Is its smaller size a problem for longer stints in the seat?

I like its high useful load and its economical operation. The cruise speed is slower than I'd like but that may be the required trade-off. I really prefer the jab 230 but the useful load is not adequate for 2 people and bags going cross country, in my view.
DAVE
Roger

Cross Country

Post by Roger »

I'm not that familiar with the Jab but the CT is a great cross country plane...

www.ctflyer.com

I do know there is a good dealer in Walla Walla, WA. You might give him a call about the Jabiru.
KSCessnaDriver

Re: Anyone know the jabiru 170?

Post by KSCessnaDriver »

saintlfd wrote:Does anyone out there have experience in the jab 170? Is it a good cross country machine? Is its smaller size a problem for longer stints in the seat?

I like its high useful load and its economical operation. The cruise speed is slower than I'd like but that may be the required trade-off. I really prefer the jab 230 but the useful load is not adequate for 2 people and bags going cross country, in my view.
Alright, something I can help with. I've got an hour or so in the J170, and it was a blast to fly. I'm a bigger guy (6'1"/230) and it was surprisingly comfortable for me. I've got long legs, and when I looked at the thing, I wasn't sure I was going to fit comfortably, but it worked. One downside is that it is a bit difficult to get in if your tall, but once your in, tons of room. Lots of room in the back behind the seats. Easy to fly. I was tentative about the control setup, but after about 5 minutes, they seem natural. The arm rest behind the controls was perfect for me. Not hard to land at all. A little bit squirrely on the ground, but not bad enough that I didn't want to fly it again. Might not be the fastest, but it seemed decently quite inside the plane.
KSCessnaDriver (ATP MEL, Commerical LTA-Airship/SEL, Private SES, CFI/CFII)
LSA's flown: Remos G3, Flight Design CTSW, Aeronca L-16, Jabiru J170
saintlfd

jab 170

Post by saintlfd »

Thanks for the insight! Still looking at my options but I like this plane.
DAVE