AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: AVweb Video on Vashon Ranger + Aviation Consumer Article

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I said "could," not "would." Jesus Christ, why is everything here such a pain in the ass?
It is just a forum and people discussing things. Is it really worth getting so worked up about it ?
I don't know, ask Eddie. I just made a simple observation. Flying an LSA with no instrumentation would be a simple thing for many/most of us.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: I don't know, ask Eddie. I just made a simple observation. Flying an LSA with no instrumentation would be a simple thing for many/most of us.
We need not ask Eddie to speculate. I imagine that as a CFI (like several of us here), he feels obligated to point out the legality (or illegality) of any potion posted. This is not necessarily directed toward the poster (who, such as in the present case, certainly already knows). But for others here who may not, Eddie probably considers these to be teachable moments (as, in fact, do I).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:My new SportStar has dual Skyviews, dual ADAHRS, dual engine sensors, and dual back-up batteries. So I'm pretty confident I have sufficient redundancy. I'll admit, though, that this is an expensive solution.
How many pitot tubes?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

One, Bill, just like in any GA aircraft. That's why we all need to use Daniel Bernath's iPad "airspeed" app.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

I always wear a belt AND suspenders. Because my pants falling down would be...you know...bad.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:One, Bill, just like in any GA aircraft. That's why we all need to use Daniel Bernath's iPad "airspeed" app.
Just for the record, the more recent and current models of the CTLS were equipped with two, independent pitot tubes, which gave the airplane total instrument redundancy.
Point being, despite dual displays and AHARS in your Sportstar's, those are still dependent on a common pitot system, which offers limited redundacy.
That withstanding, I agree with you, that you have 'adequate' redundancy.
Bill Ince
LSRI
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

MrMorden wrote:Because my pants falling down would be...you know...bad.
I really wouldn’t worry about such a little thing.
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
proemer

Post by proemer »

I was told that when they were flying the X-15, eventually using advanced flight directors, etc, they still always had a simple mechanical airspeed indicator and a simple mechanical altimeter in the panel. At least once these saved the day when the electrics went out.

Seems like a good idea... even in a LSA.

Pete
Izzy

Post by Izzy »

I've been reading and following for quite sometime but, this is the first time I am posting on this forum. This particular thread has been a quite interesting read as it was covered many different topics which I find to be of great value.

A few comments or observations:
1.) I truly have respect and enjoy the association with other pilots that believe that limitations and regs are to be followed. I for one fly an SLSA with about 4hrs of fuel, 20 gallons, when I'm flying along. I will only fill up when I know that I will be flying in the following couple of days. When flying with others, I reduce my fuel load to stay within the envelope. Reducing the fuel load is not a big deal to me as my bladder usually limits me to 2 1/2 - 3 hr legs as I drink lots of fluids while flying, maintaining optimum hydration. I completely agree with a few previous posters...IT IS INCREDIBLY IRRESPONSIBLE that PB clearly states that pilots are flying their LSA at over their MTOW ~ Safety first as I look forward to flying another day!

2.) I constantly read critical statements on the cost of aviation and more specifically the aircraft offerings in the LSA category. I find it quite entertaining when I've flown with left seat 777 pilots as they are amazed at the level of technology the SLSA I'm flying is equipped with. Two points that I believe we need to consider when talking of pricing; first of all is the price of a fully loaded SLSA, meaning full glass panel, autopilot, and yes BRS (parachute)...we need to accept the reality of the cost of these features alone is somewhere around $50k-$60k. Secondly, to respond to a common expression that I've read numerous times "well eliminate all that fancy modern glass stuff and give me a six pack'! Sadly that is not the reality as the manufacturers are truly not receiving orders for non glass equipped aircraft. I personally am spoiled with the gadgetry, mind you I come from the gliding world circa 1975 and my first solo in a single engine was in a Cessna 152 back in 1980. I love the information and features available to me as a pilot (traffic, weather, nearest airport, autopilot) in all phases of flight. And yes, over time I have learned to enjoy the benefit if engaging the autopilot much more than I initially thought I would. But, mostly on long legs or cross country flights.

3.) The last point which cover a bit of the preceding points; Bristell is enjoying sales of SLSA planes in the +$200k range with IFR equipment same as SportCruiser at $169k...there are people (pilots) out there that find the $200k to be a bargain when comparing to a comparably equipped GA offering not only in cost of acquisition but, in overall cost of operation and maintenance.

Cheers to all. Enjoy flying whatever it is that you fly as we are all blessed to be flying at all.

Izzy
drseti

Post by drseti »

Thanks for posting, Izzy. Keep it up! We're happy to hear from you.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Izzy wrote:Cheers to all. Enjoy flying whatever it is that you fly as we are all blessed to be flying at all.
Izzy
Welcome to this forum Izzy.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

FastEddieB wrote:
Hilarious! :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
foresterpoole

Post by foresterpoole »

So I'll try to contribute to the discussion. First while the Ranger has gotten a lot of press, I just can't get past the familial resemblance to the 162, or even the neighbor Glasair. I know they are made of different skin, but man they look very similar. Secondly, when I fly I ask myself a simple question "would I bet my son's life on it." In my book over gross is a recipe for disaster, eventually, someone will load up and forget the influence of density altitude and a bad day will ensue. Lastly, aviation is as expensive as you make it. I used Sporty's DVDS for ground school, did the majority of my PPL training in a light sport, and fly rentals. Sure, it's nice to own your own plane, but it's not essential. I fly planes older than I am, with a 6 pack and basic IFR, no glass or autopilot and the 172N climbs like a dog in summer or with more than me, but hey im flying and within my budget. At the present time I'm seriously considering joining the Civil Air Patrol to build time and help offset the cost of IFR training, I'm going in eyes open, it might take a while. But point is that it's possible, just not easy.
Ed
WDD

Post by WDD »

Yes, I was also a bit surprised in the video when he blatantly said the Ranger has lower usable weight than others, but most LSA's are flown overweight anyway.

Referencing another thread on this very topic, while some LSA'a can safely do that unless you have hard evidence you'll never know which LSA'a can really carry what weight safely. Which leads to 1) This isn't Vegas, I don't want to guess on whether it will fly or not, 2) by the way if you get caught I would imagine bad things happen -insurance voided, etc. 3) Did he just open himself up to liability? Someone buys a ranger, overloads it, crashes, sues?