Blackfly VTOL electric ultralight

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Scooper

Blackfly VTOL electric ultralight

Post by Scooper »

Have you ever wished you could fly over gridlocked ground traffic on your 20 mile commute?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jcpq6XYYoY4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKTCbbqbaE
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
chicagorandy

Re: Blackfly VTOL electric ultralight

Post by chicagorandy »

Saw it at Oshkosh this year - I wouldn't want to be around when that thing lands with those 8 exposed blades whirring about - lol

Like 'most' E flying machines (and cars) battery technology has not really caught up to electric motor power demands or owner desire for distance and duration.

Time will tell if this critter ever actually makes it into production or finds a purchasing demographic with $$$$. I have serious concerns about folks with little or no flying experience crowding ( or dropping out of ) the low height skies.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

The January issue of EAA Sport Aviation has a nice eight page article on the Blackfly starting on page 54.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

If technology can catch up, can you imagine 100. or 200 of these thins running willy nilly around any large city.

They always project a you and you alone going to work in clear skies.
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Thanks for the UTUBE link. I read that article also, and I find the whole concept intriguing. I would like to see one, but it seems the builders want to work out all the bugs before going whole-hog public. Also noteworthy, the original concept was an affordable user-friendly aircraft, designed by non-pilots for non-pilots. Conceptually, I think it eliminates many of the current general aviation drawbacks, but every solution breeds new, unforeseen problems. Harken back to circa 1900, and the introduction of the automobile. Absolute chaos. If the Blackfly, or the numerous clones that will likely follow, actually catch on - Wow. It certainly staggers my imagination! Progress - Lead, follow, or join the dinosaurs.