3600 lbs gross for LSA ?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

ShawnM

Re: 3600 lbs gross for LSA ?

Post by ShawnM »

drseti wrote:I just heard this from DAR Mike Huffman:
I’ve not expected an NPRM anytime soon; right after the announcement, I talked with Terry Chasteen who told me it would be 3-4 years.
(Terry is head of the FAA Light Sport program in Kansas City.)
Which in FAA terms means 5-6 years. :mrgreen:
Aes256

Post by Aes256 »

Waiting...
drseti

Post by drseti »

Aes256 wrote:Waiting...
I sure hope you're not holding your breath while you wait.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well ... Godot would probably qualify as johnny on the spot compared to these guys or is that too harsh ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Aes256

Post by Aes256 »

That have talked about this since 2018 or earlier. It's time for action. Im not getting any younger.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Keep up with news from Dan Johnson and LAMA. They'll give you updates when things move forward.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Warmi wrote:Just saw it on Facebook from AOPA ...

In January the FAA will issue a notice of proposed rulemaking increasing max weight for a light sport airplane
Notice they didn't say January of what year.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Aes256

Post by Aes256 »

I've been following Dan Johnson. It was a great initial article but its getting stale. :cry:
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Aes256 wrote:I've been following Dan Johnson. It was a great initial article but its getting stale. :cry:
We're probably going to see a draft for the new rule in 2021. Government goes slow so we just have to wait.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

fatsportpilot wrote:
Aes256 wrote:I've been following Dan Johnson. It was a great initial article but its getting stale. :cry:
We're probably going to see a draft for the new rule in 2021. Government goes slow so we just have to wait.
With the way 2020 is going, the FAA specifically and the feds in general might have priorities in 2021 other than rocking the LSA boat.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

MrMorden wrote:
fatsportpilot wrote:
With the way 2020 is going, the FAA specifically and the feds in general might have priorities in 2021 other than rocking the LSA boat.
We'll just need to wait for the NPRM.
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

I can't wait another 5+ years either. I would be happy with an expanded category that could also include legacy certified 2-seat SEL (e.g., Beech Skipper, C-140, C-150, C-152, Piper Tomahawk, etc.) as they are no more difficult to fly than a S-LSA (and some are probably easier), and I would be ecstatic with a further expanded category that also includes basic 4-seat SEL with fixed-pitch prop and fixed gear like the Beech C-23 Sundowner, C-172, and Piper Warrior and Archer (being a bit heavier they are actually easier to fly than S-LSA and legacy certified 2-seaters). If the goal is to re-invigorate the lower rungs of GenAv, the S-LSA is a miserable failure, as few can afford the ridiculous prices for new models (some of which are over $150-$200k now), and even a decent used S-LSA often pushes $100k. It's no wonder that new L-LSA sales have slowed to a trickle. I suspect the $25-75k range with around $50k is the sweet spot for attracting a lot more pilots, so why isn't more emphasis being made there?
drseti

Post by drseti »

I think you mistakenly believe that the FAA's purpose in establishing the LSA rules was to invigorate GA. I suspect their real goal was merely to rein in all those unlicensed scofflaws that were flying around in unregistered ultralights, with neither oversight nor the benefit of training. Any benefit to GA is purely coincidental. :evil:
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US