Sling LSA vs RV-12iS

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

drseti

Re: Sling LSA vs RV-12iS

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote: By the way, that “factory approved option” is available from all manufacturers.
Glad to hear that, Bill. Perhaps I'll have to request it when I buy my next SLSA. :D
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:. . . . . when I buy my next SLSA. :D
Which is going to be what? :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
MegL

Post by MegL »

Thanks everyone; all very helpful. Seems like you can't go too far wrong with either plane, and there are always pluses and minuses with anything in life but that said, I'm definitely leaning towards the Sling. Big fun any way you slice it!
drseti

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote:
drseti wrote:. . . . . when I buy my next SLSA. :D
Which is going to be what? :D
Way to present me with a dilemma, Bill! Since I've already owned two SportStars, have had good experience with them, have a large inventory of spare parts, am able to get Letters of Authorization from the manufacturer, and am intimitely familiar with their service bulletins and maintenance requirements, it kind of makes sense to buy another one when my current trainer approaches TBO. Only problem is, the SportStar has been replaced in the US market by the Evektor Harmony. So, if I am to buy new, it would have to be a Harmony. (Don't worry, Bill. I checked, and I can still get that factory-authorized option we were talking about.)
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

drseti wrote:. . . . I checked, and I can still get that factory-authorized option we were talking about.
Recommend you forgo that option. That doesn’t fit you. :D
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

MrMorden wrote:
Warmi wrote:
Another consideration - I don’t think you can get a ballistic parachute with vans designs - not sure if that matters to you but it did to me :D
Here's the problem I have with Van's in general: Van, and by extension his whole company culture, are kind of macho dicks about chutes, and about any criticism of their airplanes. I actually asked Van at Oshkosh why they didn't offer a BRS in the RV-12. The response: "Because we sell our airplanes to pilots." That was it, he turned and walked away.

This attitude permeates the entire RV community. Also at Oshkosh, I was looking at an RV with a friend of mine who is building one, and the owner walked over. My friend chatted with him a bit about the airplane, and finally the owner asked if we flew in. I said yes, but that I don't fly an RV. The response: "Well at least you have room for personal improvement in your life." That was it, he turned and walked away. My friend and I looked at each other with slack jaws. WTF?

That same builder friend of mine almost decided to build a different airplane type, because, in his words: "I'm afraid that if I build an RV I will have to become an asshole."
Right .. I actually see a lot of the same attitude among GA pilots , what I noticed especially older ones ( and it was pointed out to me on this forum that it is not really a function of age ) so I think it is this macho culture coming from days gone by where pilots had to do with basic tools for navigation , traffic avoidance and there is this natural reaction to dismiss anything that makes this task much easier and safer as some kind of cheating and trivializing of the skill .... I don’t know but I think this is just the good old “ ... in my days I had to walk uphill 10 miles in the snow “ - aviation edition :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:"I'm afraid that if I build an RV I will have to become an asshole."
No, you don't have to. That's just a factory-approved option. :wink:
If you’re already an asshole and buy an RV, do you get any kind of a credit?

Asking for a friend. :wink:
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

FastEddieB wrote:
drseti wrote:
MrMorden wrote:"I'm afraid that if I build an RV I will have to become an asshole."
No, you don't have to. That's just a factory-approved option. :wink:
If you’re already an asshole and buy an RV, do you get any kind of a credit?

Asking for a friend. :wink:
If they gave you credit for anything, they wouldn't be assholes... ;)
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Helen

Post by Helen »

I can't speak to the Sling but I have two RV12s on the flight line and love them so much that I begged the factory into making me their only dealer in the US! My students do their best to beat the tar out of them and the planes just keep flying. When we do need parts, Vans is always there with US support and affordable overnight shipping. I even got and LOA (to fly without and ELT we had to remove after it go wet in a rain storm and went off) on a Sunday morning from Vans with less than two hours turn around time when it was 7am PST. I dare you to find me any other SLSA manufacturer with that kind of customer service!

If you get serious about a 12, ping me. I'll get you set up for with training and sales.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Helen Woods
Chesapeake Sport Pilot
Quality Flight Training, Rentals, and Service
Factory Authorized RV-12 Training and Service Center
http://www.chesapeakesportpilot.com
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Helen wrote:I can't speak to the Sling but I have two RV12s on the flight line and love them so much that I begged the factory into making me their only dealer in the US! ........ I dare you to find me any other SLSA manufacturer with that kind of customer service!

If you get serious about a 12, ping me. I'll get you set up for with training and sales.
Actually, there are still some out there with similar level of support ...

http://sportpilottalk.com/viewtopic.php ... ery#p51956
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois