Jabiru J230 vs Tecnam Eaglet

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Lpj470

Jabiru J230 vs Tecnam Eaglet

Post by Lpj470 »

Was wondering if anyone had comparison of the Jabiru J230 and the Eaglet. Is one vastly better than the other? Does one handle wind better?

If you were going to buy one of the two which would it be?

Thanks!
MrMorden

Re: Jabiru J230 vs Tecnam Eaglet

Post by MrMorden »

They are both fine airplanes, but I'd choose the Eaglet. Tecnam knows how to build a great airplane.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I agree, Tecnam makes a beautiful airplane and their attention to detail is second to none in my opinion.
Type47

Post by Type47 »

About 4 hours of my flight lessons were in a Jabiru and 40 or so were in a Tecnam. I was looking at both to possibly buy.
The Jab sits lower and is smaller in front where the passengers sit. It does, however, have a large back compartment that can haul a lot of things. The Tecnam is larger in the passenger compartment and the baggage area is small.
I found the Tecnam to be much more stable and balanced to fly. More like a Cessna. I preferred the dual sticks in the Tecnam to the y stick as I fly left handed.
The Tecnam is aluminum and is therefore much more tolerant of outside storage. I worry about a sudden delamination issue or other breakdown in composites that could render the aircraft worthless. Time will tell, but metal is proven.
The Tecnam stalls into a mush that is stable and easy to predict. Really forgiving.
The Jabiru had a much more sudden stall and tended to dip one wing every time.
The Jabiru has composite fuel tanks that are damaged by solvents and alcohols. The flight school That owned the one I flew used only 100Ll.
The Tecnam has metal tanks and many people use gasohol with no problems. Gasohol is acceptable to Tecnam.
I use Mogas in mine and avoid alcohol.
The Jabiru engine has had more problems than the Rotax. Specifically overheating during taxi and headbolt issues. Ring problems and valve issues follow heating events.
The Rotax is the “gold standard” in Lsa aircraft.
The Rotax needs the rubber replacement every 5 years costing $3000-$7000.
I do like the Jabiru and would be happy with one.
I think the engine problems are exaggerated and if properly run and maintained, Jabiru engines can be excellent.
I bought a Tecnam P92 Echo Super, which is very close to the Eaglet and I love it.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
Type47

Post by Type47 »

Also, The Jabiru with the 6 cylinder will cruise at 120kn sustained. Slippery plane, 130 hp.
My Tecnam cruises at 110kn. I can push it higher, but it likes 110.
The Jab has only one carb, the Rotax 2.
Only the Rotax needs carb synchronization
Hope this helps.
Ymmv.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Type47 wrote: ....
I bought a Tecnam P92 Echo Super, which is very close to the Eaglet and I love it.
You should post some pictures of your P92 - I am always up for some good panel and plane pics ... :D
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois