Experience with the Viper SD4?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

TimTaylor

Re: Experience with the Viper SD4?

Post by TimTaylor »

And, probably most important, is seeing other traffic. Traffic can be above, below, or at the same altitude. So, it depends on where the traffic is.
Retired from flying.
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

So it sounds like no one in the crowd has flown the Viper. Not surprising when there are so many wonderful & proven LSA’s already on the market.

@Sling 2 Pilot I am definitely considering the Sling 2. In fact, my original first choice was the Sling TSi with the 915iS. However, the price range was just a bit out of my budget range. I’m now taking a closer look at the Sling2, which is in my budget range, and I may follow in Cam’s footsteps. It’s certainly a gorgeous plane. Do you know of any Sling2 owners on the east coast that would be open to taking me up for a spin in their plane? I currently live in Southern NH but we’ll be moving to Charlotte NC later this summer.

@Tim Taylor I have flown the RV12 and I love that plane, however, my flying partner, the wife, has made only 1 request - parachute. And the RV12 does not have that option.

@MrMorden I have about 40 hours in high wings (C172, C182) and the rest in low wings. I’m not opposed to high wings, I really like them, but if I had to choose, I like the view from the low wings a bit more (just a personal choice).

@Warmi I’d love to hear more about your Sting experience (handling, performance in turbulence, speed, etc.). I had the chance to speak with the TL dealer at Sun n Fun this year and sit in their planes. Same question to you about east coast Sting owners? I’d love to go up in a Sting, very slick plane.
Private Pilot looking for a flying machine to call my own
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Where in HN are You?
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

MrMorden wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

PS - I like the Sling, but it's not the fastest LSA. .
I’m curious, Is that statement based on personal experience or something you read on-line?
Various articles, reviews, and owner reports online converge on a cruise speed of about 112kt.
It was really designed with a constant speed prop, which we know is not permitted under LSA rules. Go EAB with the prop and you will exceed the mythical 120kts.

I just got back from tooling around, playing with my VNAV function and saw a respectable 110 @ 5300 or so. Winds were light. Lastly, it’s one of the only LSA’s certified everywhere else at 1540 and holds 39.6 gallons. Enough said.
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:Where in HN are You?
I live in Hollis NH and fly out of Nashua Airport. Currently I rent from East Coast Aero Club (just got out of one of their Warriors) and I have really enjoyed being able to fly so many great planes (trainers, complex, high performance), but I think it’s time to get my own.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

MrMorden wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
MrMorden wrote:
PS - I like the Sling, but it's not the fastest LSA. .
I’m curious, Is that statement based on personal experience or something you read on-line?
Various articles, reviews, and owner reports online converge on a cruise speed of about 112kt.
Concur.
That is based on reports from those with experience and reviews. As an S-LSA, with BRS installed, it is a heavy airplane. Fully equipped, with 912is engine, it comes in at better than 900 lbs empty. Comparably, climb rate is a little less than most CT’s and econ cruise (5200-5300 RPM) is just below 110 kias.
The 912is produces slightly more torque than its carbed brother, at 100 hp.

That withstanding, I love the Sling 2. Owner reports are very positive.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

FlyingBliss wrote:
I live in Hollis NH and fly out of Nashua Airport. Currently I rent from East Coast Aero Club (just got out of one of their Warriors) and I have really enjoyed being able to fly so many great planes (trainers, complex, high performance), but I think it’s time to get my own.
I’m at MSV, we should get together somewhere in between.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:It was really designed with a constant speed prop, which we know is not permitted under LSA rules. Go EAB with the prop and you will exceed the mythical 120kts.
Speed and Vh limitations notwithstanding, any E-AB equipped with a constant speed prop would be in clear violation of the LSA rules, thus could not be flown by a Sport Pilot, or any higher rated pilot operating under Sport Pilot rules.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
FlyingBliss wrote:
I’m at MSV, we should get together somewhere in between.
That would be great, thanks. I’ll reach out to you in a couple of weeks to see if we can find a date that works.
RTK

Post by RTK »

Another vote for the Sling. The Sling 2 is what got me to be a Sport Pilot. Love the plane, but needed a bit more useful load (as a bigger pilot). Have you considered the Sportcruiser? I love mine. Bunch of fun to fly and the early ones are priced very well and perfect for an E-LSA conversion.

Sorry, no experience with the Viper SD4.
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

RTK wrote:Another vote for the Sling. The Sling 2 is what got me to be a Sport Pilot. Love the plane, but needed a bit more useful load (as a bigger pilot). Have you considered the Sportcruiser? I love mine. Bunch of fun to fly and the early ones are priced very well and perfect for an E-LSA conversion.

Sorry, no experience with the Viper SD4.
RTK, thanks for the feedback. I truly never believed that I would have a problem like this, but there are so many LSA’s with a proven design, great handling and a really nice interior (Sling2, Sting4, SportCruiser, Bristell, RV12, Astore, Evektor) that it makes narrowing the decision really difficult, especially since the empty weight, speed and fuel burn are all roughly the same.

I think it’s going to come down to simply flying each plane and, assuming enough empty weight for my wife and I, deciding which plane we like to fly the most and find the most comfortable for extended periods of time.

Everything that I’ve read about the Sling2 (including Sling4 and TSi) has been overwhelmingly positive. I’m going to fly out to MSV and take a ride with Sling 2 Pilot in a few weeks, once we get our house on the market. That will mark the beginning of my LSA demo flight season :D
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Don't know how old you are, but another thing to consider is ease of getting in and out of a low wing vs high wing as you and your wife get older and/or heavier.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

TimTaylor wrote:Don't know how old you are, but another thing to consider is ease of getting in and out of a low wing vs high wing as you and your wife get older and/or heavier.
I am in my late 40s and there is defiantly a difference , especially getting out after say 2 hour flight , between a low wing and a high wing :-)
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Warmi wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:Don't know how old you are, but another thing to consider is ease of getting in and out of a low wing vs high wing as you and your wife get older and/or heavier.
I am in my late 40s and there is defiantly a difference , especially getting out after say 2 hour flight , between a low wing and a high wing :-)
Just wait until you're 71 and 20 pounds over-weight.
Retired from flying.
FlyingBliss

Post by FlyingBliss »

I’m 41 and wife is 40, both in fairly good shape. But I know what you’re saying. We took my mom’s boyfriend up in a PA28A a few months ago. He’s 72 and he’s a slim guy (former golfer), but he’s certainly not as nimble as he once was. It took him a while to unfold himself out of the right seat to get out onto the wing, and I could tell that it was a struggle for him - but he’s not one to complain, ever. That would certainly be a situation for a high-winger. I think we’ll be fine getting in and out of a low-wing for about 20 years, which will be perfect timing to sell our low-wing LSA, whatever that ends up being, and upgrading to a new high-wing LSA :wink: