Experience with the Viper SD4?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

FlyingBliss

Experience with the Viper SD4?

Post by FlyingBliss »

I’m a recently licensed Private Pilot, as of March 5th, with most of my 148 hrs in low wing planes (PA28A, PA28R, SR20). I’m in the process of searching for a cost efficient (i.e. LSA with fuel-sipping Rotax) 2-seat low wing plane for my wife and I. After I purchase the plane I plan to register it as E-LSA and get my IR in it. After a lot of research, the Bristell and the RV-12 seem to be in the lead, with the only downside of the Bristell being the price tag. I’ve recently discovered the Viper SD4 (https://vipersd4.com/) and it looks like a very capable LSA, a lot like the Bristell. AOPA published an article about the Viper a couple of years ago (https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... nder-90000).

I plan to go down to Florida later this summer for a demo flight in the Viper, but I was wondering if there are any Viper owners on Sport Pilot Talk that could provide their feedback on this plane?
Private Pilot looking for a flying machine to call my own
Sling 2 Pilot

Re: Experience with the Viper SD4?

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Hav you looked at the SLING 2? You can have/order it as an SLSA or do a builders assist and go EAB. If you go EAB, you get IFR and 1540 MAUW, instead of 1320. I have a factory built LSA. Cam, is on here and recently finished his assisted built Sling 2. The build center was Midwest Sky Sports, in MI. PM me if you need more info. Good Luck.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Yeah , Sling 2 is a really great option - best low wing LSA imho -as far as the Viper , while the plane may be capable , make sure you don’t end up with an orphan - I don’t see many of these planes being sold in the US ( or in Europe for that matter - at least compared to known brands like SportCruiser ,Evektor or TL Ultralight ) and if the dealer folds up and/or the original company in Europe disappears - eventually things do break and , at some point , you will need some custom parts...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

If I liked the Viper, I would get a Van's RV12 instead. They are produced in the US and there are tons of them flying.
Retired from flying.
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

162 is pretty good too and has Cessna support. Both are losing value so deals can be had. The 162 is a SLSA and most RV12s are ELSA.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I would prefer the C162 also, but the OP is looking for a low wing.
Retired from flying.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

The RV-12iS is a great plane. I had the chance to place a deposit September 2017. Had I, I still wouldn’t have a plane and there were only 3-4 slots ahead of me. It’s a long story, but thankfully I found the Sling. The -12iS is back in production. If you are interested call Vans for an update on delivery. You’ll probably save 5-8k, as they are a bit less expensive than the present LSA line up. To the OP, good luck.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Are you tied to low wing options? There are a lot of really great LSA out there.

I started my search wanting a low wing airplane, but several experienced pilots convinced me to let capability and features drive my decision rather than where the wing is attached. I ended up with a high wing airplane (Flight Design CTSW) and have been delighted with it for over five years.

I'm not trying to change your mind really, just encouraging you to consider all options in your search. Good luck!

PS - I like the Sling, but it's not the fastest LSA. The RV-12 is also good. I think those with the Sting series airplanes are also pretty happy with them, and the earlier ones can be had for very reasonable cost.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

MrMorden wrote:

PS - I like the Sling, but it's not the fastest LSA. .
I’m curious, Is that statement based on personal experience or something you read on-line?
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

I’m curious, Is that statement based on personal experience or something you read on-line?
Various articles, reviews, and owner reports online converge on a cruise speed of about 112kt.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

On my part have exactly 1 hour in a Sling 2 - my demo ride :D

Mr Morden is right - it is not the speediest LSA , the ad says the usual, 120 knots etc but all I could get was about 105 TAS ( according to Mgl efis) at around 5200 rpm.
Still , it was the other qualities I liked , the sliding canopy , the handling, the looks ...

Of course, for all planes I have tried , all you can get is about 1 hours worth of a test flight and with just one flight , there are many other variables like weather , how you got up that morning from the bed etc.. that influence your opinion on a particular model :D so it is still a bit of a gamble ... one flight is just not enough but often that’s all you can get.

I guess if you go with known brands, at least you know that there won’t be any nasty habits or surprises the way the plane handles so then it comes down to personal preferences and frankly, once you buy a plane , you get used to it and after a while it feels like the best handling plane in the world :D
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Cruise airspeed would be way down on my list of factors in choosing an LSA. Many of us older guys don't like to fly legs much over 2 hours. If you're flying 220 NM at 110 knots, it will take your two hours. At 120 knots, it will take you 1.8 hours. Just leave 12 minutes sooner and you'll get there at the same time.

I also think high wing vs low wing is not significant in my mind. Each has it's advantages and disadvantages, but it's far down on my list of factors. For me, the main advantage of low wing is it looks sportier. That is not a reason I would choose one over the other.

EDIT: I've never flown or ridden in a Flight Design, but from what I know about them, that would be my top choice if I had a hanger to keep it in. If I didn't have a hanger, it would be a SkyCatcher or RV12.
Retired from flying.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

The looks are important ( well, you are spending a lot of money ) but what draws me to low wings , especially Stings, was the amazing outside visibility - it is like sitting on a wing - no high-wing plane offers this experience.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Over 50 percent of my 55 years flight time is in low wing aircraft. It's no big deal IMHO.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Warmi wrote:The looks are important ( well, you are spending a lot of money ) but what draws me to low wings , especially Stings, was the amazing outside visibility - it is like sitting on a wing - no high-wing plane offers this experience.
It depends on what you want to look at. Highwings offer an obstructed view of the sky. Lowwings offer an obstructed view of the ground. 80% of what I want to see is on the ground

They are both fine, and both can have equal visibility, just in different places.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI