Texas Aircraft "Colt" LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Scooper

Texas Aircraft "Colt" LSA

Post by Scooper »

This looks interesting. It was designed in Brazil as a derivative of the Conquest 180, and will be built in Hondo, Texas. The official introduction will be at AirVenture next month. It looks a lot like a C162 with Rotax power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Hgd24LV1J0
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
TimTaylor

Re: Texas Aircraft "Colt" LSA

Post by TimTaylor »

I love it. I want one. It's my new favorite LSA. It has all the good features of a SkyCatcher with a Rotax engine, more fuel, and more useful load.
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Nice looking airplane, not a fan of the yokes.

Is it a rebranded Paradise P1? It looks very similar and that one had yokes too...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Scooper wrote:This looks interesting. It was designed in Brazil as a derivative of the Conquest 180, and will be built in Hondo, Texas. The official introduction will be at AirVenture next month. It looks a lot like a C162 with Rotax power.

Stan,

The Airplane Factory is getting ready to debut A cantilever high wing Sling LSA. Like the Sling2, I would imagine it will be over built and de-rated for those countries like the US, who place restrictions on weight, among other things. Haven’t a clue which engines, but prolly Rotax.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:The Airplane Factory is getting ready to debut A cantilever high wing Sling LSA. Like the Sling2, I would imagine it will be over built and de-rated for those countries like the US, who place restrictions on weight, among other things. Haven’t a clue which engines, but prolly Rotax.
References?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
Type47

Post by Type47 »

I see some more manufacturers are trying to lock down a portion of the less than 500 new GA aircraft sold each year worldwide.
As long as people can’t do math, I suppose they will keep designing airplanes.
Type47
LSRI
INTJ
2006 Tecnam P92 Echo Super
Don’t do the thing that almost killed you until you at least get the staples taken out of your head first….
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:
Scooper wrote:This looks interesting. It was designed in Brazil as a derivative of the Conquest 180, and will be built in Hondo, Texas. The official introduction will be at AirVenture next month. It looks a lot like a C162 with Rotax power.

Stan,

The Airplane Factory is getting ready to debut A cantilever high wing Sling LSA. Like the Sling2, I would imagine it will be over built and de-rated for those countries like the US, who place restrictions on weight, among other things. Haven’t a clue which engines, but prolly Rotax.
They should create a Rotax 915 firewall for the Sling 2 model and put a constant prop on it .. a 1650 EBA version with Rotax 915 would be like a rocket.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Nomore767

Post by Nomore767 »

Very nice looking airplane.
For me it looks more like the Tecnam P2008 than a SkyCatcher but it’s interesting that they’re using the 912 ULS rather than the Injected Sport engine, so that saves weight and cost.
The fuel quantity is great for solo flying making for great range but if there’s a passenger and baggage it does reduce range but still having a couple of hours endurance is good.
I really like the finish and I’m very familiar with the Dynon SkyView. The standby pneumatic instruments is a nice addition.
I love the ease of entry and the fact that the doors open so widely.

Nitpicks: it looks like it’d take time to remove the cowling for servicing and or inspection. I like the wheel fairings and it’d be nice if there was a panel that opens in the fairing to allow for checking tire pressure and brake inspection. I have both of these gripes on my RV-12 .
Nice paint job and the three blade prop looks cool however it’s a bit slower than Im used to in the RV-12.
The visibility from the cabin looking for traffic under the wing is the same for all high wing but the plus is you’re not in the sun like I’m used to with the bubble canopy.

Whatever happened to the Glasair Merlin?
All in all very impressive airplane. I wonder how much it’ll be? I’m guessing north of $175k.
Very nice!
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

Wm.Ince wrote:
Sling 2 Pilot wrote:The Airplane Factory is getting ready to debut A cantilever high wing Sling LSA. Like the Sling2, I would imagine it will be over built and de-rated for those countries like the US, who place restrictions on weight, among other things. Haven’t a clue which engines, but prolly Rotax.
References?
A little bird told me...
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

With Aeroprakt A32 making its debut in the US at $130K with a modern Dynon/Garmin panel and BRS , cruising at 115 knots etc - any high-wing above $140k is just not making sense to me price wise.
There is nothing a CTLS , or a Tecnam can do better than the A32 and possible minor finish enhancements are not worth additional $50-70 k - not to me.
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

Warmi wrote:With Aeroprakt A32 making its debut in the US at $130K with a modern Dynon/Garmin panel and BRS , cruising at 115 knots etc - any high-wing above $140k is just not making sense to me price wise.
There is nothing a CTLS , or a Tecnam can do better than the A32 and possible minor finish enhancements are not worth additional $50-70 k - not to me.
Ever flown a P2008 turbo before?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Not P2008 , no ....but 914 yes, and it was great - still not worth $60k more - I could get a 914 for about 15k premium over a regular 912 installation.
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

Warmi wrote:Not P2008 , no ....but 914 yes, and it was great - still not worth $60k more - I could get a 914 for about 15k premium over a regular 912 installation.
The P2008 turbo is a pretty sweet airplane. At $180K loaded up I think it’s worth the $40K premium over the A32. But not at $240K.
c162pilot

Post by c162pilot »

To quote Monty Python “This Merlin is dead, it is an x-Merlin”.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

“This Merlin is dead, it is an x-Merlin”.

Naw, it's just pining for the fjords.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln