2020 compliant

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Mal K9

2020 compliant

Post by Mal K9 »

Does LSA have to comply with 2020
Warmi

Re: 2020 compliant

Post by Warmi »

Mal K9 wrote:Does LSA have to comply with 2020
If you mean ADSB then yeah, no different than any other aircraft.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Yes, if you want to fly in class A, B, or C, etc. No, if you only fly in class D, E, and G.
Retired from flying.
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Good to know. I've flown my Sting 2,610 hours now--in 9 years, since taking the game up--and never talked to a controller yet, not one. (Could this be a record?)

So...I'm really struggling to justify just how or why I'd need it.

Nevertheless, I'm working on a very innovative possible ADSB-Out (minimal) solution that I'll report more on, soon.
Sting Flight (Flying the Sting LSA)
http://www.youtube.com/user/9162069934/featured
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

drdehave wrote:Good to know. I've flown my Sting 2,610 hours now--in 9 years, since taking the game up--and never talked to a controller yet, not one. (Could this be a record?)

So...I'm really struggling to justify just how or why I'd need it.

Nevertheless, I'm working on a very innovative possible ADSB-Out (minimal) solution that I'll report more on, soon.

Not even once ? Whoa .... that got to be some kind of record , especially since you don’t live in a backcountry but right there within 50 miles of at least 4 D class airports :D
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Over-the-Top, Under-the-Bottom, or Around--and create my own "Flight Following"--for almost 1,400 days of flying.

But this 10,000-ft business and the 30-mile veil--could impact me and drag me to minimal compliance.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, I have flown my Sting only around 150 hours since I bought it in mid 2017 - about 75 hours per year , and I fly as much as I can , but given my day job and crappy Chicago winters etc .. that’s all I can do at this point.

Let us see ...at my current rate it will take me about 35 years to catch up with you :D ..
Maybe when I retire , in about 15-20 years , I will be able to increase my rate significantly ...
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Back when I had a valid medical and was flying the Mooney, I filed IFR on almost ever flight, regardless of weather. Now that all of my flights are VFR, I prefer to use flight following on almost every flight. I rarely fly just local, but if I do, I only call Atlanta Approach if I'm making a touch and go at KPDK, etc. Most of my flights now are into KGMU for lunch, so I always talk with Greer Approach in and out of there (class C).
Retired from flying.
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drdehave wrote:Over-the-Top, Under-the-Bottom, or Around--and create my own "Flight Following"--for almost 1,400 days of flying.

But this 10,000-ft business and the 30-mile veil--could impact me and drag me to minimal compliance.
Just remember after Jan 1, 2020 you can't go over the top or under a shelf on Class B or C airports without ADS-B out...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Mal K9

Post by Mal K9 »

MrMorden wrote:
drdehave wrote:Over-the-Top, Under-the-Bottom, or Around--and create my own "Flight Following"--for almost 1,400 days of flying.

Just remember after Jan 1, 2020 you can't go over the top or under a shelf on Class B or C airports without ADS-B out...
Very new here. So what is it a 10 mile radius if no ADS-B? I think thats how I read it
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

Mal K9 wrote:
MrMorden wrote:

Very new here. So what is it a 10 mile radius if no ADS-B?
No, you have to stay outside the footprint of a Class C or Class D airport. For Atlanta that's about 30 miles.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
drdehave

Post by drdehave »

Note that at Class C airports, we'll still be able to fly under the outside shelf, just as now: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/r ... ements.jpg
MrMorden

Post by MrMorden »

drdehave wrote:Note that at Class C airports, we'll still be able to fly under the outside shelf, just as now: https://www.faa.gov/nextgen/equipadsb/r ... ements.jpg
You are correct.
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
rcpilot

Post by rcpilot »

Living on Long Island and surrounded by B,C and D airspace, I just broke down and ordered the uAvionix tail lamp for experimentals. Seems to be the easiest install. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Also worth note is that if you fly a non electrical aircraft as I often do, that you can fly under the shelf of both class B and C airspace without a transponder or ADS B. You still can not fly over the top of the airspace.