Corben Baby Ace D as LSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Hambone

Corben Baby Ace D as LSA

Post by Hambone »

After selling my CTSW, I'm eager to fly again, but with a difference - taildragger, low and slow, open cockpit, single-seat. No electrics, inexpensive, and somewhat vintage. To that end, I'm looking at a Corben Baby Ace D, which fulfills all of my criteria. Cross-country camping and hiking adventures in this manner sound like fun to me! (I know... I'm probably asking for trouble...)

Anyone doing something similar? If so, I have a few questions.

1) The Baby Ace meets all LSA criteria, but is not registered as such. Is this a difficult procedure?

2) It is powered by a Continental A-65. I don't plan on doing my own maintenance. Can any competent mechanic work on the A-65? Are spare parts readily available?

3) Will the lack of a transponder and ADSB-out be unreasonably restrictive? I would use a handheld radio, and maybe my iPad.

Thanks in anticipation!

Moderator: If this is in the wrong forum category, please feel free to move it. Thanks!

FastEddieB

Re: Corben Baby Ace D as LSA

Post by FastEddieB »

Sounds way cool!

As to #1, by FAR definition it IS an LSA*, no paperwork change involved. I assume it’s registered as an E-AB? As such, anyone can perform maintenance and modifications on it, so long as said modifications don’t take it out of LSA Limitations. You will need an IA to perform your Annual Condition Inspections. I’m pretty sure that’s correct, but don’t take it to the bank.

For #3, it’s highly individual. Many never need to enter Class C and above airspace, so if you fit that bill, you’ll be fine. Come to think of it, if the plane has never had an electrical system, you may be exempt. I have to look that one up though**.

But good luck regardless!

*The FAA defines a light sport aircraft as an aircraft, other than a helicopter or powered-lift that, since its original certification, has continued to meet the following:

Max. Gross Takeoff Weight - 1,320 lbs (1,430 lbs for seaplanes)
Max. Stall Speed - 51 mph / 45 knots CAS
Max. Speed in Level Flight (VH) -138 mph / 120 knots CAS
Seats - Two (max.)
Engines / Motors - One (max. if powered.)
Propeller - Fixed-pitch or ground adjustable
Cabin - Unpressurized
Landing Gear -Fixed (except for seaplanes and gliders)

**https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... l-aircraft
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Pretty much what Fast Eddie said.

No paperwork change. What makes a LSA is that it meets the CFR 1.1 requirements that fast Eddie posted, not how it is registered.

The A-65 is easy to work on, and any competent mechanic can work on the engine. You will need a A&P not IA to complete the condition inspection, unless you are the original builder with a repairman certificate for that airplane. Most parts for the A-65 are available, but some are getting expensive. I have overhauled 2 in the last year. Original steel cylinders are getting harder to find. You can fine chrome cylinders a little easier. Superior makes new cylinders for the A-65, but you have to change them as a complete set.

The A-65, unless someone got crazy, will not have an engine driven electrical system. There will be fewer places where you can not operate without the ADS-B. basically Class B and C airspace. You can operate inside the mode C veil. Over the top of class B or C airspace below 10,000 feet.
drseti

Post by drseti »

FastEddieB wrote:Sounds way cool!

You will need an IA to perform your Annual Condition Inspections. I’m pretty sure that’s correct, but don’t take it to the bank.
Actually, for an E-AB, any A&P can do the condition inspection. No IA required.

As for registration, your only option is E-AB. * It could only be converted to E-LSA if the original builder had registered it as a. E-LSA, and that would only have been possible if there had been an S-LSA version to base the kit upon (which there wasn't).

See my webinar "LSA and Experimental Maintenance - who can do what to who" for further info:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/LSA_maint.mp4

* unless the original builder registered it as Experimental R&D, or Experimental Exhibition, which would cause you significant limitations. So, read the Airworthiness Certificate carefully before you buy.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
drseti

Post by drseti »

Be aware that, once every two years, you'll need to find another aircraft to take your flight review in. There used to be a provision for CFIs to do single-seat flight reviews by observing from the ground. There no longer is. See this webinar for details:

http://avsport.org/webinars/videos/bfr.mp4
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

drseti wrote:
As for registration, your only option is E-AB. * It could only be converted to E-LSA if the original builder had registered it as a. E-LSA, and that would only have been possible if there had been an S-LSA version to base the kit upon (which there wasn't).
Actually there was about a 3 and 1/2 year period where it could have been registered as a ELSA without there having been a SLSA version of the aircraft.
drseti

Post by drseti »

3Dreaming wrote: Actually there was about a 3 and 1/2 year period where it could have been registered as a ELSA without there having been a SLSA version of the aircraft.
True, but that window has long ago closed. If you're suggesting that the previous owner might have taken advantage of that window, then maybe also true, but unlikely. The original intent of that loophole was to allow for owners of previously unregistered Part 103 fat ultralights to get N numbers. Something like 7,000 ultimately did, but I am not personally aware of any E-ABs that went this route. In fact, I thought the loophole was only for aircraft that had no N number, but I could be mistaken. Perhaps Tom can shed further light on this.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

The only problem I see is how are you going to carry camping gear in that airplane?
Retired from flying.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Thanks to everyone for the most useful info!

It is indeed registered as an E-AB, and meets all LSA criteria. So does this mean that I’m good to go on my Sport Pilot license once I get the taildragger endorsement?

Apparently the carb heat is disconnected. I’ll want that fixed, and a thorough annual to be done before I attempt the 1400 mile trip from Georgia to Tucson.

Regarding camping, I’ll use my ultralight bikepacking gear.

Thanks again for the great info!
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

A Sport Pilot or other pilot operating with Sport Pilot privileges can legally fly an LSA. You would need a tail-wheel endorsement.

Where will you physically put the camping gear?
Retired from flying.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

There is a small luggage compartment behind the headrest. The seat is apparently quite wide, and can accommodate a backpack.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Where in Georgia?
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Perry, GA.
FastEddieB

Post by FastEddieB »

Hambone,

Try PM’ing me again - I cleared out my inbox folder.

Or email [email protected]
Fast Eddie B.
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

PMed.