What certificate required

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

nub_pilot

What certificate required

Post by nub_pilot »

I have been searching around for LSA's with a high useful load and this Pipistrel Virus SW 100 iS looks good. it has the 912iS motor so it is very efficient for fuel usage. I like this plane as I am on the heavier side (230) and would allow me to conduct some longer trips without having to stop short due to limited fuel due to weight restrictions as would the CTLSis with is around 820 empty weight.

so my question is, can a person with a sport pilot certificate legally fly this plane?

I know their other models are listed as motoglider's and don't quite understand which certificate would be required.

please let me know your recommendations and or experiences with this brand of plane along with which certificate would be required.

Thanks in advance.
Jeremy
TimTaylor

Re: What certificate required

Post by TimTaylor »

If this is the same plane, it is LSA and would require Sport Pilot certificate or higher.

"Please note: Speed performance is restricted and the in flight adjustable propeller disabled to comply with LSA category requirements in the USA which has a requirement for 120 knots max speed. All other locations are supplied with unrestricted full performance aircraft.

Pipistrel are proud to announce our latest new aircraft, the Virus SW.

The Virus SW is the only light aircraft that combines pure speed with unprecedented fuel economy. We are convinced that Virus SW will win the hearts of many aviators world-wide, just like it won the NASA challenge. Twice!"
Last edited by TimTaylor on Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired from flying.
nub_pilot

Post by nub_pilot »

that is the same plane, but with the fuel injected 912.

https://www.pipistrel-usa.com/wp-conten ... n-Pack.pdf
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

"Important note: This document describes the configuration and performance
for a Virus SW 100 iS flown at 600kgs. In some markets, like the LSA version for
the USA the aircraft is restricted to 550kgs to meet the strict stall
requirements."

That's a max gross of 1212.5 pounds.
Retired from flying.
nub_pilot

Post by nub_pilot »

I wonder why they would place more striations for the USA market since 600kg meets the 1320lbs limitations for the USA.

Thanks for pointing that out, I must have overlooked it since I knew 600kg meet the USA limit, didn't read any further.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

Because LSA also has stall speed limitations. The Sport Pilot certificate is built around LSA with lower stall speeds.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote:Because LSA also has stall speed limitations. The Sport Pilot certificate is built around LSA with lower stall speeds.
The missing piece of information here (which is obvious to us, Tim, but maybe not to all) is that stall speed varies with weight. At 1320 pounds, that particular aircraft stalls clean above the requisite 45 kts calibrated. By certifying it at a lower weight for the US market, they bring the stall speed down to within LSA limitations.

Evektor did the same thing with the original SportStar 15 years ago, limiting it to 1268 pounds for the US market, in order to meet LSA stall speed restrictions. A few years later they added vortex generators, lowering stall speed enough to raise max gross up to 1320.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

TimTaylor wrote:"Important note: This document describes the configuration and performance
for a Virus SW 100 iS flown at 600kgs. In some markets, like the LSA version for
the USA the aircraft is restricted to 550kgs to meet the strict stall
requirements."

That's a max gross of 1212.5 pounds.
Retired from flying.
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: That's a max gross of 1212.5 pounds.
Unless I miscalculated, that comes to 1210#, which is rather light for an LSA (by 110 pounds).
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Ctsw-Super can be delivered at around 750 lbs empty or so .
http://flightdesignusa.com/aircraft/ctsw-super/

Aeroprakt Vixen runs around 750 lbs empty as well.
http://www.aeropraktusa.com/a32-vixxen.html

Pipistrel planes are pretty expensive for what they offer and , from what I heard from people who had some demo time in them, not I n the same class as far as cabin comfort is concerned as mainstream planes like Flight Design etc ...

This thread may be of interest as well ..
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/communi ... rus.56642/
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: That's a max gross of 1212.5 pounds.
Unless I miscalculated, that comes to 1210#, which is rather light for an LSA (by 110 pounds).
How many grams in a pound (g in lb). 1 pound in grams. There are 453.59237 grams (g) in 1 pound (lb):. 1 lb = 453.59237 g. Pounds to Grams conversion

550 kilograms = 550,000 grams
550,000 grams/453.59237 grams per pound = 1212.54 pounds

Yes, you miscalculated.
Retired from flying.
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

I think I'm done here. The pettiness is getting totally out of control. You guys have a good life and fly safely. If anyone cares, my last flight is scheduled for this Thursday, weather permitting. Otherwise, it will be before December 1 when my insurance expires. 55 years of flying with never an infraction, near-miss, or accident. 100 percent passage for student writtens and flight test including Private, Commercial, and CFI students. A good time to hang it up at almost 72 years of age.
Retired from flying.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Warmi wrote:Ctsw-Super can be delivered at around 750 lbs empty or so .
http://flightdesignusa.com/aircraft/ctsw-super/

Aeroprakt Vixen runs around 750 lbs empty as well.
http://www.aeropraktusa.com/a32-vixxen.html

Pipistrel planes are pretty expensive for what they offer and , from what I heard from people who had some demo time in them, not I n the same class as far as cabin comfort is concerned as mainstream planes like Flight Design etc ...

This thread may be of interest as well ..
https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/communi ... rus.56642/
Those are interesting links . . . thank you.
In particular, I am looking forward to the new Flight Design, F2, which should be exhibited at Sun 'n Fun next year.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

TimTaylor wrote: Yes, you miscalculated.
Well, I did allow for that possibility. :)

My shortcut started with the oft-stated assumption that 1320 pounds equals 600 kg. I then scaled from that, multiplying 1420 by (5.5/6). So, my intial assumption was flawed.
Prof H Paul Shuch
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
TimTaylor

Post by TimTaylor »

drseti wrote:
TimTaylor wrote: Yes, you miscalculated.
Well, I did allow for that possibility. :)

My shortcut started with the oft-stated assumption that 1420 pounds equals 600 kg. I then scaled from that, multiplying 1420 by (5.5/6). So, my intial assumption was flawed.
More flawed than you know:

1420 pounds * 5.5/6.0 = 1301.67

Also:

600 kilograms = 600,000 grams
600,000 grams / 453.59237 = 1322.77

Then:

1322.77 *5.5/6.0 = 1212.54

I think you did:

1320 * 5.5/6.0 = 1210 close buy no cigar.
Retired from flying.