Light Sport Limitations

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Atrosa

Re: Light Sport Limitations

Post by Atrosa »

drseti wrote:
Well, not entirely. There are some who are perfectly able to pass a 3rd Class medical, yet opt to go for the SP certificate for reasons completely separate from health concerns. Those folks often use SP as a quick and easy entry level license, and later use it as a stepping-stone toward higher ratings. About 25% of my students fall into this category.
Yup i get it. But my proposal says passing a medical is unnecessary. And by breaking down the PPL you can get into flying in say 30 hours... Just not night without add-in endorsements. And complex and or high performance would be add-on endorsements, too. Under my proposal no medicals (sans whatever it takes to get drivers license) until you become a pro and start doing this for hire.

Just an idea.
drseti

Post by drseti »

Atrosa wrote: Just an idea.
And a good one, IMHO. Unfortunately, FAA has a mixed history with regard to adopting good ideas.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
dstclair

Post by dstclair »

Like Paul, I've flown fast and complex which suited my mission at the time then I upgraded to Light Sport for around 11 years. Flew as a PP typically with a valid 3rd class medical then with Basic Med. My schedule was very flexible so I was able to make most planned trips albeit with a day or two shift. Biggest limitation for flying trips was not a lot different in the certified world -- weather and the ability to legally fly IMC. My mission changed a year or so ago which included longer distance travel on a more regular basis. Speed, useful load, seats and IMC-capability came into play at this point so I rejoined the certified world.

I love my Cirrus and it is by far the best 'traveling machine' I've flown. Fits my mission well. I do miss my Sting, though, for tooling around the patch and just flying for the fun of it.
dave
Half Fast

Post by Half Fast »

Two things:

1 - 1320 lb limit. That doesn’t allow enough baggage for me and SWMBO to take a long-ish vacation unless we pack like it’s a motorcycle trip or ship stuff ahead. Sure, it can be done, but why would I when there are other options?

2 - Light wing loading. LSAs get tossed around more in turbulence or gusty conditions. This can make for uncomfortable cruising and challenging landings. Again, it’s doable, but why?

I got my Sport ticket in 2017, but because of the above items I decided to upgrade to Private this year and I passed my checkride in June. This became a good option because of Basic Med (I needed a one-time SI on my class 3) and because of the rule change last year allowing all Sport training to count toward Private. About all I needed to upgrade was another hour or so under the hood, unusual attitudes, and night work. Simple.

Now I’m looking for either a Cherokee or a Traveler, either of which will be more suitable for trips with my wife than an LSA.
1/2
----------------
I dream of a world where chickens can cross roads without having their motives questioned.
designrs

Post by designrs »

THIS is what I was talking about...

Here’s the Bristell with retractable gear, and probably constant-speed prop.
(Just be sure the gear is down for LSA compliance inspections! :lol: )
EF8987BD-285C-4F0D-B6D0-A0BDC4D4E2D4.jpeg
EF8987BD-285C-4F0D-B6D0-A0BDC4D4E2D4.jpeg (70.23 KiB) Viewed 1882 times
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
drseti

Post by drseti »

Yeah, that's the Carbon Fibre TDO (taildragger), constant speed prop, 914 turbocharged, retract. Only available for the European market, and definitely not an LSA. It's highly reminiscent of a Globe Swift (which I have flown). A bit on the expensive side, but if I were buying a personal aircraft (not for a flight school), I'd consider it. Certainly appears Basic Med eligible for those who qualify. You'd love it, Richard - an airborne Porsche!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
designrs

Post by designrs »

I have seen a LSA Bristell TDO tailgragger in the USA (fixed gear, ground adjustable prop.) It’s SEXY as hell!

The only thing that I’d be concerned about is the increased risk of a taildragger on the ground. I know of a few pilots, far better than I, that have had “ground issues” in similar aircraft.

Then again, if I wanted to train in aerobatic aircraft (to fly an Extra has always been a goal of mine) the TDO taildragger would be excellent experience, but I’d have to allow for higher personal limit safety margins.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser