Bristell NG5 915 SLSA

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

AlanR

Re: Bristell NG5 915 SLSA

Post by AlanR »

Back in 2006 I built a SportCruiser, Rotax 912uls engine from a kit( Kit build only in the UK at the time) and put 500hours on it. In 2015 I then built a Bristell NG5, 912uls, ( Not available ready built in the UK) and now have 350 hours on it and I can tell you it is a totally different aircraft.There is virtually not one component that is the same on the two aircraft.
The Bristell NG5 is stronger where it matters, wing spar attachment, more rivets per sq foot, lighter carbon cowls and rudder, and all this makes the handling and the way it flies much,much better. I liked my SportCruiser but I like my Bristell even more!
My Bristell is fully loaded with twin Skyviews, Autopilot, Constant Speed 3blade Woodcomp propellor but no chute and weighs in empty at 344kg(756lbs).

Alan.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

AlanR wrote:Back in 2006 I built a SportCruiser, Rotax 912uls engine from a kit( Kit build only in the UK at the time) and put 500hours on it. In 2015 I then built a Bristell NG5, 912uls, ( Not available ready built in the UK) and now have 350 hours on it and I can tell you it is a totally different aircraft.There is virtually not one component that is the same on the two aircraft.
The Bristell NG5 is stronger where it matters, wing spar attachment, more rivets per sq foot, lighter carbon cowls and rudder, and all this makes the handling and the way it flies much,much better. I liked my SportCruiser but I like my Bristell even more!
My Bristell is fully loaded with twin Skyviews, Autopilot, Constant Speed 3blade Woodcomp propellor but no chute and weighs in empty at 344kg(756lbs).

Alan.
Hi Alan and thanks for sharing your "build" experience with the Bristell. I have no doubt that it is a really strong airplane and built to the same standards or better than other LSA. It just goes to show that weight can be saved on LSA if the design is properly thought out. I have no doubt Milan learned a few things while at Czech Sport Aircraft and took that and his vast knowledge and designed the Bristell. Congrats to him on a well designed, strong and lightweight airplane. Innovation at Bristell has never slowed down.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

AlanR wrote:Back in 2006 I built a SportCruiser, Rotax 912uls engine from a kit( Kit build only in the UK at the time) and put 500hours on it. In 2015 I then built a Bristell NG5, 912uls, ( Not available ready built in the UK) and now have 350 hours on it and I can tell you it is a totally different aircraft.There is virtually not one component that is the same on the two aircraft.
Normal operating RPM and cruise speed?
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

I agree the Bristell feels like a completely different airplane from the SportCruiser. With a DUC prop and 912 iS you can see 120 knots true on 5.5 GPH.
AlanR

Post by AlanR »

[quote="Wm.Ince"][quote="AlanR"]Back in 2006 I built a SportCruiser, Rotax 912uls engine from a kit( Kit build only in the UK at the time) and put 500hours on it. In 2015 I then built a Bristell NG5, 912uls, ( Not available ready built in the UK) and now have 350 hours on it and I can tell you it is a totally different aircraft.There is virtually not one component that is the same on the two aircraft.
My Bristell is fully loaded with twin Skyviews, Autopilot, Constant Speed 3blade Woodcomp propellor but no chute and weighs in empty at 344kg(756lbs).[/quote]
Normal operating RPM and cruise speed?[/quote]

With the CS Prop I normally cruise in the Bristell at 4800rpm, 24inches MAP =110knots. If you push it up to 5000rpm and 26inches MAP she gives 120knots but obviously at the expense of fuel burn. Performance as always in any aircraft depends on how much you want to push the throttle in and how much fuel you want to burn.
Shame you can't fit the VP/CS Prop over there, it makes the world of difference to the performance particularly the climb. I fly out of a 400metre (1300 foot) undulating grass strip which I wouldn't want to do without it.

Alan.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

jetcat3 wrote:I agree the Bristell feels like a completely different airplane from the SportCruiser. With a DUC prop and 912 iS you can see 120 knots true on 5.5 GPH.
I think the Bristell even faster than that. I can get 120 knots true with my 912ULS in my SportCruiser at 5250 rpm cruise. I have a legacy SportCruiser and they are lighter and faster than the new ones. But not as light and fast as the Bristell.

I emailed with Lou at Bristell USA to ask when this plane will be in Florida at his flight academy and he told me the 915is plane in the video, N915LM, is already in Sebring and they are testing yet another prop this week. He invited me down for a demo flight with him and I'm looking forward to it.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:
jetcat3 wrote:I agree the Bristell feels like a completely different airplane from the SportCruiser. With a DUC prop and 912 iS you can see 120 knots true on 5.5 GPH.
I think the Bristell even faster than that. I can get 120 knots true with my 912ULS in my SportCruiser at 5250 rpm cruise. I have a legacy SportCruiser and they are lighter and faster than the new ones. But not as light and fast as the Bristell.

I emailed with Lou at Bristell USA to ask when this plane will be in Florida at his flight academy and he told me the 915is plane in the video, N915LM, is already in Sebring and they are testing yet another prop this week. He invited me down for a demo flight with him and I'm looking forward to it.
So how much is your SC empty weight ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:So how much is your SC empty weight ?
When I bought it it had a BEW of 796 and it now weighs 824 after all the upgrades and additions I've done. I was out flying this morning and saw 119 knots true at 5280 rpm. She's plenty fast and light enough for me.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

ShawnM wrote:When I bought it it had a BEW of 796 and it now weighs 824 after all the upgrades and additions I've done. I was out flying this morning and saw 119 knots true at 5280 rpm. She's plenty fast and light enough for me.
Those are good numbers for that RPM.
With my CTSW, at 5250 RPM, I indicate about 108 kts. and true out at 113. I have the larger tundra wheels and fairings, so that's where I take a hit.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator