Gust Lock

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

JJ Campbell

Gust Lock

Post by JJ Campbell »

Does anyone have experience with this product:

CL100 Gust Lock
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... key=227560

I'd like to use it on my 2012 Tecnam P92 Eaglet but as you can see it attaches to the bottom of the control panel. Since the control panel is only plastic, I wonder how it can possibly hold up in a storm. I emailed the manufacturer planepoop.com and they said they had not had any reports of problems on P92s.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
Scooper

Re: Gust Lock

Post by Scooper »

I use one of those on my Zodiac, which has an angle aluminum cross member stiffener at the bottom of the instrument panel. The fastener "tit bolts" (for lack of a better term) are installed in the stiffener with the tits pointed down. It works great. I did have to provide POOP with custom measurements so the elevator is in a neutral position when the control lock is installed.
Control Lock Fastener.jpg
Control Lock Fastener.jpg (31.33 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
CL100 8 inch Reach Control Lock.jpg
CL100 8 inch Reach Control Lock.jpg (113.73 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Elevator Position - CL100 Installed med.jpg
Elevator Position - CL100 Installed med.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
Last edited by Scooper on Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
Experimental AMD CH601XLi-B Zodiac LSA N601KE (KSTS)
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Thanks Stan . . . for your solution and the good pics of such.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Looks like a good solution, though perhaps a bit pricey. And, Aircraft Spruce really needs a proofreader:
The latching mechanism is tow locking buttons that cannot come loose until released by the pilot which insures the owners that their ailerons and elevators are safe from wind damage.
Tow locking buttons? Insures? Really?
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

drseti wrote:Looks like a good solution, though perhaps a bit pricey. And, Aircraft Spruce really needs a proofreader:
Mine was $60.00 ordered on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/str/prideofownershipproducts

I considered fabricating one myself, but in the end decided that rounding up the attachment hardware and other materials plus the time it would take to put the thing together would cost more in time and money than just paying the $60. I see they're $83 from AS&S.
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I have the exact same one on my SportCruiser and love it. Goes on very easy with no chance of it ever coming loose. Wouldn't use anything else.
Scooper

Post by Scooper »

Looking at the P92 lower panel, it would seem to me to be a simple matter to rivet or bolt a piece of sheet aluminum or bar stock to the bottom of the panel to accommodate the tit bolts and provide the necessary structure to withstand high winds.

Of course if the airplane is still registered as an S-LSA an LOA from Tecnam would be required. :(
P92 Lower Panel.jpg
P92 Lower Panel.jpg (69.94 KiB) Viewed 2271 times
Stan Cooper (K4DRD)
Private Pilot ASEL LSRI
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

As Stan pointed out you need some sort of return lip on the bottom of the panel to mount the TENAX bolt stud to. The SportCruiser panel is all aluminum with a 1" return lip on the bottom of the panel which is perfect for this gust lock. If all you have is a plastic or composite panel you would need some sort of stiffener behind it as they will no doubt rip out under high winds. Again, this type of modification is for E-LSA only.
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

Mine is indeed an SLSA. I'll have to wait until the Italians are accepting LOAs again. At the moment, they are only processing ADS-B LOAs.
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet