Pipistrel Alpha Trainer

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

nub_pilot

Pipistrel Alpha Trainer

Post by nub_pilot »

I have searched the board and seen some old threads regarding the Alpha trainer back in 2012 and 2016, but curious if anyone recently has any experience with this plane. I am looking to start flight training at a school which will be getting one soon. I have only flown an hour in a Kappa last year so don't have much to reference against.

The one the school will be getting is for sale and they would entertain a leaseback to the school with the new owner. secondly, does anyone have any recent experience with leasebacks. in my state, CT, this would the only LSA available for rent also which could open up some Private Pilots looking to fly without having to renew their medical.

Here is an example that I have seen regarding leasebacks:
- leaseback at a dry rate of $100\hr
- split 80\20 (80 to owner and 20 to school)
- Owner carries insurance and costs all maintenance costs
example - plane is rented (school or other) for 30 hours in a month. Owner would receive $2400 (30hrs * $80\hr) and out of that amount would be loan payment, insurance (monthly amount), hanger rental (if required), and any maintenance items (25 or 50hr oil change, 100hr condition inspection). Are there any other costs that I would be missing (I know about saving for engine overhaul or replacement)?

Advantage is that I would conduct all my own training in my plane and would only have a cost of fuel and instructor. is this something realistically that could assist in paying for my training and maybe break even? I am not looking for this to be an income to the family, but as an opportunity to enjoy flying with the plane and be able to offset some of the costs of ownership?

Lately, if people have experience with this plane, what are some of the average costs regarding maintenance?

thanks for any feedback that you could provide either on the plane or the leaseback.
Jeremy
drseti

Re: Pipistrel Alpha Trainer

Post by drseti »

Leaseback contracts seldom generate sugnificant profit for the owner, though they can reduce ownership costs. The main financial benefit is that all aircraft costs become business expenses, providing two types of tax advantage - expensing of costs (which offsets other taxable income), and accelerated depreciation the capital asset (providing significant tax reductions in the first two years of aitcraft ownership). The higher the marginal tax rate bracket you are in, the greater the tax advantage. But, there are also risks associated with ownership of an aircraft used in primary instruction. Consult with your tax accountant to see if this makes sense for you.

Here is the leaseback contract I have used in the past. I think it covers all the bases:

http://avsport.org/docs/leaseback.pdf
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US