Has Dan Johnson finally gone off his rocker?

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

c162pilot

Has Dan Johnson finally gone off his rocker?

Post by c162pilot »

Was reading this article on Bydanjohnson.com on the new Contiental CD-170 in the Tecnam P2010.

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/continenta ... -producer/

When I saw this section:
LSA and kit-built owners may also want to visit Continental’s Titan engine website. The Jet-A series also includes the CD-135 engine with 135 horsepower that could meet many Light-Sport Aircraft needs.
I did some research and the Jet-A CD-135 engine referenced above is almost 100lbs heavier than the Continental O-200D which many on this board already consider to be too heavy for a LSA.

I always knew that Dan was one for hyperbole but but I think he has well and truly discredited himself with this comment.

On a different matter regarding LSA's being used in flight schools I met Dan in person for third time at Oshkosh 2019 at an invite only reception and tried to have a sane conversation with him as a follow-up to a recent email dialog on this topic. It was virtually impossible. Seems to me that he lives in the world that he has conjured up in his own mind and not in the real world. I am not sure that the LSA industry is benefiting by having Dan be the lead spokesperson.
drseti

Re: Has Dan Johnson finally gone off his rocker?

Post by drseti »

I don't think Dan's job is one of spokesperson. More like cheerleader. Not necessarily a bad thing - he has all of us to keep him grounded.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
ryoder

Post by ryoder »

I think he is covering manufacturers that are venturing into GA territory and he kind of feels the need to tie this coverage back to LSA in his videos and online. That comment about the heavy engine is just an example of a stretch.
Sling 2 Pilot

Post by Sling 2 Pilot »

c162pilot wrote:Was reading this article on Bydanjohnson.com on the new Contiental CD-170 in the Tecnam P2010.

https://www.bydanjohnson.com/continenta ... -producer/

When I saw this section:
LSA and kit-built owners may also want to visit Continental’s Titan engine website. The Jet-A series also includes the CD-135 engine with 135 horsepower that could meet many Light-Sport Aircraft needs.
I did some research and the Jet-A CD-135 engine referenced above is almost 100lbs heavier than the Continental O-200D which many on this board already consider to be too heavy for a LSA.

I always knew that Dan was one for hyperbole but but I think he has well and truly discredited himself with this comment.

On a different matter regarding LSA's being used in flight schools I met Dan in person for third time at Oshkosh 2019 at an invite only reception and tried to have a sane conversation with him as a follow-up to a recent email dialog on this topic. It was virtually impossible. Seems to me that he lives in the world that he has conjured up in his own mind and not in the real world. I am not sure that the LSA industry is benefiting by having Dan be the lead spokesperson.
It takes less than a minute to see that, “He likes to hear himself talk”
drseti

Post by drseti »

Sling 2 Pilot wrote:He likes to hear himself talk
Maybe so. But let's not forget that without folks like Dan talking up LSA, we'd all still be flying 50 year old Pipers, Cessnas, and Beechcraft.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

Maybe he was referring that engine to the "3600 pound LSA" ???
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

zodiac flyer wrote:Maybe he was referring that engine to the "3600 pound LSA" ???
That was factored in.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Did he also say that you could fly it over gross becasue that's what most people do? :shock:
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

ShawnM wrote:Did he also say that you could fly it over gross becasue that's what most people do? :shock:
I think it was Paul Bertorelli from AVweb ..
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote:
ShawnM wrote:Did he also say that you could fly it over gross becasue that's what most people do? :shock:
I think it was Paul Bertorelli from AVweb ..
That's right it was Paul who said that. Thanks for the clarification.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Met Dan at the Midwest LSA event in Mt Vernon, IL last September. A very personable guy, gave a great presentation at a forum on LSA and the FFA.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

chicagorandy wrote:Met Dan at the Midwest LSA event in Mt Vernon, IL last September. A very personable guy, gave a great presentation at a forum on LSA and the FFA.
I didn't know Dan was a FFA advocate. :D

I have 2 boys that were/are involved with the FFA. Being that we are involved with aviation we also talk about the FAA. It is sometimes hard to keep them straight, at least during conversation.
AGLyme

Post by AGLyme »

This engine PR push aside, I believe Dan serves a vital purpose to all of us with LSA's. The balance of the online rags out there pay scant attention to the manufacturers and Dan treats the LSA manufacturers as his bread and butter. Naturally he is doing more "selling" than hardcore reviewing, but that is his function. Anyone with half a brain understands that. It's nice to see the inside and outside of an airplane in a well put together video showcasing the company owner. I appreciate Dan's involvement very much.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

"I didn't know Dan was a FFA advocate."

Of all the things I've lost over my 71 years on this planet.... I miss my mind the most.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Read what he said in comments:
Stephen wrote:Dan, at over 100 pounds heavier than the Continental O200-D, do you really think the CD-135 is a viable engine for a LSA?
Dan Johnson wrote:Hi Stephen: Not at today’s LSA numbers but with LSA 2023 at higher weights, yes, possibly.
He knows that it's too heavy for LSA right now. I don't think he's gone off his rocker. :)