Tie-Down Tail strike

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Re: Tie-Down Tail strike

Post by Warmi »

Actually I don’t consider ideas behind LOAs pointless and I would like to think I do follow the spirit of the law , if not the letter.
For instance, while I have no problem installing an equivalent lead-acid battery if I can’t find the exact model listed in the MEL doc , I will not install a lithium battery instead and not because I want to follow LOAs but rather because I am not in position to evaluate if this thing is actually safe within the relevant context.

Of course, I have seen arguments being made that drilling that first unapproved hole in your panel will trigger the process of inevitable continuity that will ultimately lead one to a bad place.
In other words, if you cross the Rubicon with that first hole, it is just a matter of time before you start hanging turbine engines on your wings …
I reject this argument since , generally , great majority of people come equipped with a natural firewall – our common sense :D … abundance of which is required for safe flying in the first place.

I guess what I am trying to say that this is not the case of “ it is my plane and I will show them exactly where they can stick their LOA rules ..” but rather rational evaluation while making informed decisions on what is absolutely vital and what is just a result of bureaucratic consistency.
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
JJ Campbell

Post by JJ Campbell »

I shortened the dowel by a few inches and put a tire under the tail. Hopefully, this will do the trick. If not, I told Princess Jasmine to bark it into submission...
Attachments
Shorter Gust Lock.JPG
Shorter Gust Lock.JPG (251.98 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
Sport Pilot ASEL
Tecnam P92 Eaglet
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

I would still shoot for more down elevator. To me that picture looks like it still has some up elevator.
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Use you imagination.
PVC pipe is a wonderful medium. Light weight and very strong.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator