How to get a plane certified in the US. It is certified in Germany now.

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

gtylerdowdy

How to get a plane certified in the US. It is certified in Germany now.

Post by gtylerdowdy »

I know the title was a little vague. So I'm going to provide as much detail as I can below.

I am trying to bring the first KFA Explorer UL600 to the US. My question is; what are my options?

The end goal is to get this plane as a S-LSA as soon as possible. And unfortunately, I've searched high and low and can't find the 'clear cut' answer to this.

In Germany, the type certificate for the KFA Explorer UL-600 was issued during December 2019. And the aircraft is now certified as a 600kg UL aircraft in Germany.

Obviously there are a large number of planes that have accomplished becoming S-LSA in the US (Evektor, Eurofox - Aerotrek, Bristell, TL Ultralight, Sling, etc).

They have all somehow brought a plane over here from Europe/SA and got it certified. How can I start that process? They airplane is manufactured in South Africa and their largest distributor is in Germany (hence the certification). Something to also note, South Africa has a bilateral agreement with the US. I'm not exactly sure what that means and if it helps my case...but it's a feather to put in my cap.

If you were in this situation, what would be your course of action? I'm sure I could get it over here as E-AB. But the goal is to get it flying as an S-LSA. And eventually see if there is a market for them in the US.

For obvious reasons, a lot of distributors are 'guarded' about that process and how they did it. Which is unfortunate. Because I think that is healthy for the LSA market.

And like I mentioned, I've tried to find a 'clear path' to getting this done....and it just seems like I go in circles.

I'm currently working with the owner of KFA to make this happen. And he already has the plane in production for me.

Would there be any benefit of it coming from Germany where it is already 'certified'? Or, is the best option to get it sent over from their plant in South Africa? My worst fear is getting the plane here and not being able to get it airworthy. There are over 400 flying in Europe and SA. But zero in the US.

I'm sure a lot of that sounded like me rambling. But I'm just looking for some clear information and guidance on how to get my 'dream' plane over here flying. And eventually certified.

Thanks in advance for any replies!
FastEddieB

Re: How to get a plane certified in the US. It is certified in Germany now.

Post by FastEddieB »

I have no idea, but a quick call to Mike Huffman at Sport Aviation Specialties should help answer your questions.

http://www.sportaviationspecialties.com/
Fast Eddie B.
Sky Arrow 600 E-LSA • N467SA
CFI, CFII, CFIME
[email protected]
drseti

Re: How to get a plane certified in the US. It is certified in Germany now.

Post by drseti »

I was about to say "ask a DAR." Eddie not only beat me to it, he even provided the name and contact information of a suitable DAR!
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US