130shp turboprop

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Heron Engines

130shp turboprop

Post by Heron Engines »

Here is a teaser about the Heron engines turboprop for ultralight aircraft. More details and numbers will be announced soon.
Stay tuned..

[youtube]https://youtu.be/PrMULsX0mMQ[/youtube]
3Dreaming

Re: 130shp turboprop

Post by 3Dreaming »

To bad it can't be used on a LSA.
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

3Dreaming wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:27 pm To bad it can't be used on a LSA.
We'll see what the MOSAIC 2023 regulations do. They're going to change the regulations to allow for electric propulsion and LAMA has said that the FAA has not been overly averse to the idea of turboprop engines.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

fatsportpilot wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:31 pm
We'll see what the MOSAIC 2023 regulations do. They're going to change the regulations to allow for electric propulsion and LAMA has said that the FAA has not been overly averse to the idea of turboprop engines.
We'll see. The history of the FAA making changes even when mandated by congress hasn't been stellar.
AviatorCrafty

Post by AviatorCrafty »

3Dreaming wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 am
We'll see. The history of the FAA making changes even when mandated by congress hasn't been stellar.
I'm just curious if I'd be able to rent a 172 on my sport certificate, there's a flight school very close to me with pretty well equipped 172's for $135 an hour compared to the $144 an hour LSA's I typically would rent.
Commercial Pilot - Glider
Sport Pilot ASEL
Remote Pilot

John 3:16
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

AviatorCrafty wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 2:43 pm
3Dreaming wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:42 am
I'm just curious if I'd be able to rent a 172 on my sport certificate, there's a flight school very close to me with pretty well equipped 172's for $135 an hour compared to the $144 an hour LSA's I typically would rent.
There's some kind of formula they'll use to determine it and the preliminary example we saw so far makes it sound like a 172 might not be out of the question but the new regs are talking about allowing single lever control so having a constant speed prop with a little blue knob probably won't be sport eligible under the new regs. If they even come out the way LAMA expects them to. The FAA might screw us (as usual). Who knows?
drseti

Post by drseti »

Making any sort of aviation decision in the expectation that the rules will change is a lot like marrying a spouse in the hopes that he of she will change. Both you and the spouse are going to end up disappointed.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

drseti wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:13 am Making any sort of aviation decision in the expectation that the rules will change is a lot like marrying a spouse in the hopes that he of she will change. Both you and the spouse are going to end up disappointed.
Yes exactly. We should wait not only until the end of 2021 for the NPRM, but also to the end of 2023 for the final rule (because NPRM can change). Of course the "usual delays" might make it take even longer. FAA is terrible at doing things on time. :roll:

There's no reason not to do research into potential choices under an assumption but don't actually put money into it. Not yet.
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

fatsportpilot wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:22 pm (because NPRM can change).
Or they can simply abandon it after the NPRM like they did the part 23 rewrite before.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

fatsportpilot wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 4:22 pm We should wait not only until the end of 2021 for the NPRM, but also to the end of 2023 for the final rule (because NPRM can change). Of course the "usual delays" might make it take even longer. FAA is terrible at doing things on time. :roll:

There's no reason not to do research into potential choices under an assumption but don't actually put money into it. Not yet.
Please tell me you're not holding your breath waiting for new FAA rules for light sport. :shock:

But if they allow TURBINES I know what I'm buying next for my SportCruiser, right after I win the lottery or rob a bank. :mrgreen:
jetcat3

Post by jetcat3 »

A turboprop on the front of an LSA is almost too much to handle for my brain, it would be epic.

My favorite turboprop is the PBS TP100 with 241SHP and $120K cost. I’d especially love one of those on the Zlin Savage Norden.
RTC'83

Post by RTC'83 »

My 2 cents,
IDK what the new regs will say. I am just hopeful that at least the C152 type planes can make the cut. This would make a lot of difference for us that don’t own a plane, and don’t have access to LSA in our vicinity to rent.

I have been flying a 152 and 172 with a CFI, working on new maneuvers, while the LSA is being repaired. I feel that my training in the LSA has paid off in being able to fly the Cessnas and would not hesitate to fly them solo if they became approved for Sport Pilots.
RTC’83
Sport Pilot
Heron Engines

Post by Heron Engines »

We proudly present our GVA-130 turboprop engine's specifications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzveMS1cB0M

For more information visit our website : www.heronengines.com or send us an email at : [email protected]

Take advantage of the early adoption program and pre-orders yours now !
fatsportpilot

Post by fatsportpilot »

Heron Engines wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 11:36 am We proudly present our GVA-130 turboprop engine's specifications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzveMS1cB0M

For more information visit our website : www.heronengines.com or send us an email at : [email protected]

Take advantage of the early adoption program and pre-orders yours now !
That looks cool but it doesn't have a heat exchanger does it? Small gas turbine engines at low altitude are really inefficient. I think that TurboTech https://www.turbotech-aero.com/ is probably better for light sport because its efficiency is so much higher. 130hp at 9gph for TurboTech (or 5gph in eco cruise!) is better than 11gph and presumably that 11gph is only at good altitude?
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Well, today I went to get my usual non-ethanol Mogas fix …and ended up paying $ 5.30 per gallon … that’s almost EU level prices ( albeit these days they pay $8 per gallon in my old country ) so .. I am glad I am flying with Rotax 912 up front. .. btw jet fuel was $4.90 so no 20 gallon per hour turbine for me , not anytime soon …
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois