G1 american ( kitfox )

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

avgas

G1 american ( kitfox )

Post by avgas »

Hi,,, looking for inputs on the G1 america. Its fron France and has beed flying over there for couple of decades. It looks like a Zenith but has folding wings like a kitfox. Its all metal with a good useful load around 600 lbs. supports the 912uls.
https://www.g1-america.com/
3Dreaming

Re: G1 american ( kitfox )

Post by 3Dreaming »

Before I put any money down I would want confirmation that the kit complies with the 51% rule for amateur built aircraft.
JimmyD

Post by JimmyD »

So, if the kit doesn't meet the 51% rule (which seems unlikely), what category would this be registered in?
drseti

Post by drseti »

I would think that, in the US, an experimental that can't meet the requirements for an E-AB would get registered in the category of "lawn ornament".
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
JimParker256

Post by JimParker256 »

There is the option of "Experimental - Exhibition" but it's far more restrictive than EAB, requiring lots of approvals for anything other than local currency flights. Not worth it.

But not being on the 51% list does not preclude one from being certified as EAB. You just have to fill out the FAA form, and have that confirm you're building 51% of the airplane. That's how ALL EABs were certified not so long ago, before "quick build" kits became the norm. It takes a good bit of time and effort (and probably expense) for a new manufacturer to get on that list.

I would talk with the company making the kits, and have them show you exactly how they believe you can meet the 51% rule. They should have a sample form made out that would help you with your decision. If not, they are not serious about selling (and then supporting) kits here in the US.
Jim Parker
2007 RANS S-6ES (Rotax 912ULS)
Light Sport Repairman - Airplane - Inspection
Farmersville, TX