Adding a Parachute to an Evektor SportStar or Czech Sport Cruiser

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Siddhartha

Adding a Parachute to an Evektor SportStar or Czech Sport Cruiser

Post by Siddhartha »

Most of the Evektor SportStars and Czech Sport Cruisers that I see on the used market don't have a whole-airframe parachute, and the reason cited by several owners is that it takes up 40 lbs useful load. Since I'm fit and trim, I'd rather have the chute, so I'm wondering who is qualified to install such a device? Depending on the price of the bird, it might be economically feasible in some situations. Thanks.
ShawnM

Re: Adding a Parachute to an Evektor SportStar or Czech Sport Cruiser

Post by ShawnM »

I cannot speak about the Evektor but I do own a 2007 SportCruiser without a BRS and one cannot be added after the fact. If it didn't come with one from the factory the rear bridle cables and attachment brackets are not installed and they are installed BEFORE the fuselage skin goes on.

Could you open up the plane again like a tin can and install one? Maybe, but it wont be "economically feasible" in this situation. Then you have to ask yourself, "Am I willing to bet my life on it?"

Do yourself a favor and buy a plane with one installed from the factory if you really have to have one. Just my 2¢
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Good point thanks Shawn. I was poking around the BRS Aerospace website and it appears they offer a retrofit for the PiperSporrt which is a Czech Sport Cruiser so I'm going to write to them.

Does anyone know if an Evektor SportStar or Harmony can be retrofitted with a whole airframe chute? BRS does't list either, but I think they use a different chute manufacturer.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

I have never heard of a "retrofit kit" for the SportCruiser/PiperSport. BRS does list both airplanes on their site and both planes and both use the BRS 6-1350 chute. BRS makes the chute and rocket but all the other parts are made by Cruiser Aircraft. The chute box, cable assembly rocket brackets etc are not made by BRS. Good luck.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

There are some planes that come pre-rigged for a parachute ( Aeroprakt for one ) without the actual chute being installed but I don’t know of any that can be post-rigged ...
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

Warmi wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 2:29 pm There are some planes that come pre-rigged for a parachute ( Aeroprakt for one ) without the actual chute being installed but I don’t know of any that can be post-rigged ...
I agree and I've never seen a SportCruiser that was "pre-rigged" for a chute. I even inquired about this myself before I bought my SportCruiser many years ago. If one wants a chute buy a plane with a factory installed chute.
designrs

Post by designrs »

Bristells generally come pre-wired for a chute if the plane is not equipped with one. I have never seen that on a SportCruiser either.
- Richard
Sport Pilot / Ground Instructor
Previous Owner: 2011 SportCruiser
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

To answer the question with regard to the Evektor Sportstar I would contact Steve Minnich at DCT/Midwest sport planes:
https://www.midwestsportplanes.com/
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Thanks Dave. I gave Steve a call and he said that they don't come from the factory ready to have a chute installed, so with that also being the case with the SportCruiser I'm batting 0 for 2.
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

Siddhartha wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:08 pm Thanks Dave. I gave Steve a call and he said that they don't come from the factory ready to have a chute installed, so with that also being the case with the SportCruiser I'm batting 0 for 2.

Yeah, you gonna have to wait for one that comes along with the chute already installed , or if you don’t mind carbon fiber low wing planes, check out Stings - almost all Stings being sold in this country come with the chute installed.

http://sportair.aero/category/1-aircraft-inventory/
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Yup, so far I've only been able to find a few SportCruisers with factory chutes but as would be expected they are late models and pricey.
I'd prefer an Evektor as they are still a going concern, but so far I haven't found any used ones with a chute.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

There's a 2011 (it's really a 2010) on trade-a-plane right now with a BRS for $80K. It has just over 1200 hours but might be worth looking at. Ad states the owner is motivated to sell. :mrgreen:

https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?c ... e=aircraft

And a 2008 E-LSA on Barnstormers for $65K with a BRS.

https://www.barnstormers.com/classified ... atid=20464

I have no affiliation with either plane but just did a quick search and found them. Get a THOROUGH pre purchase inspection on either one.
ShawnM

Post by ShawnM »

ShawnM wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:11 pm Get a THOROUGH pre purchase inspection on either one.
Preferably by someone with EXPERIENCE and KNOWLEDGE of the SportCruiser. There are a few S-LSA SportCruisers out there on the market for sale with modifications that are illegal and were never authorized by CSA with an aircraft specific LOA since they simply don't exist. If you can find an E-LSA and are comfortable owning an E-LSA SportCruiser buy it. They are a better choice in my opinion. :mrgreen:
Siddhartha

Post by Siddhartha »

Another reason for choosing an Evektor SportsStar - Dr. Shuch knows it well as he used to operate one in his flight school, and he offers pre-purchase log and inspection services (which I would definitely insist on), plus one can still communicate with the factory (e.g., if I wanted to modify anything or order Evektor-specific parts).