Bought an Ercoupe

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

PleasantRoad

Bought an Ercoupe

Post by PleasantRoad »

I’m a student pilot learning in a 172 and recently made a deal on a 1946 415C. I decided to go the sport pilot route for a few years until I can sort out and apply for a medical. I considered quite a few different planes before deciding on the Ercoupe. I like the AMD Zeniths XLB’s and checked out a Gobosh and a sportcruiser. The combination of price, styling, dependability and parts availability pushed me to the Ercoupe. It has the 1320 STC along with just about every other available upgrade. No pedals, fabric wings, O200 crank, extended baggage, Garmin 760, upgraded interior, no corrosion, excellent paint. Current weight is 902lbs. I’m having it ferried home to PA in two weeks. Was talking with my CFI last week and got talking about the DPE he usually uses. I weigh about 175 but the DPE is about 240-250. Going to need to find someone different when I’m ready. I’m gonna assume this is a common issue with lsa check rides. After the check ride I expect I won’t have much issue with the weight as it will usually be just me, occasionally someone my size or smaller will join in.
Attachments
68201AE3-94C9-4DD2-92A9-04FEE7D4BB66.jpeg
68201AE3-94C9-4DD2-92A9-04FEE7D4BB66.jpeg (140.27 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
7A044047-8C56-4D02-821D-CC951D0337B1.jpeg
7A044047-8C56-4D02-821D-CC951D0337B1.jpeg (55.47 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
4D79E4B3-8788-4FDE-8336-52A518CEABE4.jpeg
4D79E4B3-8788-4FDE-8336-52A518CEABE4.jpeg (44.31 KiB) Viewed 4892 times
drseti

Re: Bought an Ercoupe

Post by drseti »

Congrats; great looking plane. I'm a 170 pound DPE who specializes in LSAs, with a good bit of Ercoupe experience. Based in KLHV (Piper Memorial Airport, Lock Haven PA). Check out my examiner website:
http://SportPilotExaminer.US
when you're getting close to your checkride.

Safe Skies, Paul
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
3Dreaming

Post by 3Dreaming »

Welcome aboard. I suggest you check with Drseti here on the forum. He is a sport pilot DPE located in Lock Haven, and I bet you and him can make the weight work out with a light fuel load. Check out his post here on the forum, and also check out his website.

He beat me to it!
PleasantRoad

Post by PleasantRoad »

Perfect. Lock Haven is just a short 70 mile or so flight from here at 58N in Palmyra PA. I’ll check out your site and also have my CFI take a look. I know a few guys that fly up there now and then. Thanks!
drseti wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:13 pm Congrats; great looking plane. I'm a 170 pound DPE who specializes in LSAs, with a good bit of Ercoupe experience. Based in KLHV (Piper Memorial Airport, Lock Haven PA). Check out my examiner website:
http://SportPilotExaminer.US
when you're getting close to your checkride.

Safe Skies, Paul
drseti

Post by drseti »

If you haven't already done so, you should seriously consider joining the Ercoupe Owners Club (http://ercoupe.org). Like all type clubs, they are a wonderful resource for finding such things as parts, maintenance, instructors, and DPEs familiar with the brand. Everyone there is incredibly helpful.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
hirschr

Post by hirschr »

Congrats on the Ercoupe, it's a beauty! I'll 2nd the good Dr. and recommend you join the EOC too. There is also a good FB group and a tech email list that is very helpful. Keep us posted on your progress and enjoy that Coupe - I love my 415-E!
zodiac flyer

Post by zodiac flyer »

Very nice Ercoupe, lots of luck with it. I had a 1946 415C, N415DK, fully restored, rag wing. Loved it, but when I moved from NY to Florida I couldn't find a hangar so I had to part with it, broke my heart. I fly a 601XLB now. Glass panel, autopilot, modern avionics. Its a factory built SLSA AMD, that I switched over to ELSA, took the course and got the repairman certificate.
My best advice to you is find an A&P that knows Ercoupes very well. A lot of todays mechanics never even laid hands on one. If you don't you will be paying lots off money while your mechanic learns own your dime.
Ercoupes are great plane that were decades ahead of their time.
Dave
N601XP