old Sport aviation

Talk about airplanes! At last count, there are 39 (and growing) FAA certificated S-LSA (special light sport aircraft). These are factory-built ready to fly airplanes. If you can't afford a factory-built LSA, consider buying an E-LSA kit (experimental LSA - up to 99% complete).

Moderator: drseti

Cub flyer

old Sport aviation

Post by Cub flyer »

A local dropped off his old Sport Aviation collection. Complete back into the 50's. Really neat airplanes and quite a few are LSA legal.

What got my attention is pages and pages of homebuilts of all different types. Years of them. Deltas, V tails, STOL, hang gliders, canards, flying wings, biplanes, P-51 replicas etc.

Pages of VW and other engine conversions. Even a Vega 4 cylinder. Rotarys, Turbos, 2 strokes. And I'm only up to 1973

Where are they now? Who's got a one off old homebuilt at their airport?

Pitts, Smith mini, Sidewinder, Stits, Spezio, etc.

I have a Flybaby built in 1965 that flew to Rockford and Oshkosh. Still in flyable condition and over 1500 hours on the clock. Builder was a B-26 pilot in WWII. The vertical speed indicator is from his bomber. Has a complete log of every flight and pilot since day one.
"Perfection is finally attained not when there is no longer anything to add but when there is no longer anything to take away." Antoine de Saint Exupery