E/AB buyers guide

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

Warmi

Re: E/AB buyers guide

Post by Warmi »

TimTaylor wrote:I think I am going to stop posting here. My values are far different than most here and my "more liberal" viewpoints are at odds with most here. Expressing my opinions and views here is little more than pissing in the wind. I've tried to leave before, but keep getting sucked into threads that interest me. I'll try to resist in the future. I find posting here is more frustrating that rewarding.
Why do you need to leave ? Does it really bother your so much that people expresss different views ? I mean, that’s the very definition of an open and free society.

I don’t know ...I just don’t get it - yeah , people are different and believe in different things but so what ?
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

Warmi wrote:
TimTaylor wrote:I think I am going to stop posting here. My values are far different than most here and my "more liberal" viewpoints are at odds with most here. Expressing my opinions and views here is little more than pissing in the wind. I've tried to leave before, but keep getting sucked into threads that interest me. I'll try to resist in the future. I find posting here is more frustrating that rewarding.
Why do you need to leave ? Does it really bother your so much that people expresss different views ? I mean, that’s the very definition of an open and free society.
I don’t know ...I just don’t get it - yeah , people are different and believe in different things but so what ?
Be careful dude . . . that’s right on the cusp of hate speech.
Maybe Paul needs to create a “free speech zone” here.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator
drseti

Post by drseti »

Wm.Ince wrote: Maybe Paul needs to create a “free speech zone” here.
I like to think this whole domain is a free speech zone. As long as everyone is polite to each other, I'm happy to see folks disagree. Just please do so respectfully.
The opinions posted are those of one CFI, and do not necessarily represent the FAA or its lawyers.
Prof H Paul Shuch
PhD CFII DPE LSRM-A/GL/WS/PPC iRMT
AvSport LLC, KLHV
[email protected]
AvSport.org
facebook.com/SportFlying
SportPilotExaminer.US
HAPPYDAN

Post by HAPPYDAN »

Well, for one (me) who is completely inexperienced and ignorant of the actual expenses involved in aircraft ownership, I think $1,000 a month is a viable advisory starting point. It should induce the prospective buyer to ponder whether or not they are in a financial position to incur that responsibility. The actual average monthly cost could be more or less.
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

Oh, I'm working on finding my second million dollars in the bank, cuz I can't seem to have ever found a first one - lol

Over the years I attended to my passion for all things aviation with free flight, then RC model aircraft. For the past decade or so I volunteer at the EAA AirVenture every year to be surrounded by planes and plane people for a full 9 days for a fix that needs to last me till the following year.

I joined this forum and have no plans on leaving anytime soon after taking my first ever flight in a small plane in late summer 2017, started the Gleim course and as of now anyway still have the dream of learning to fly, just not the funding to make it a reality. My other hobbies occupy my time sufficiently and sometimes for hours on end. I would pursue flight with the same mindset, meaning just doing it a couple hours a month would not be satisfying, nor likely enough to maintain rookie skills at the task.

Tim's estimate of a discretionary grand each month to own seems quite reasonable to me. Plane rental locally and personal insurance coverage, plus commuting to the nearest rental LSAs in this region, with a target of say 5-6 hours a month in the air would easily eat up $700 or more.

Nobody ever said GA was a pastime for the faint of wallet - lol - but it is a thing of which dreams are made. And like the old Broadway show tune - 'You got to have a dream, if you don't have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?'
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Jim Hardin

Post by Jim Hardin »

I hope not Tim.

It never hurts to stir the pot a little :D

But do these comments really apply to the heart of the discussion at the time? Perhaps but I would think that a musing or gently worded objection will not ruffle the feathers like a terse comment.