Esqual vm1

Are you building/buying/flying an Experimental Amateur-Built (E-AB) or Experimental Light Sport (E-LSA) aircraft? Converting an S-LSA to E-LSA? Changing or adding equipment, or otherwise modifying an S-LSA? Need help with Letters of Authorization? Or maybe designing your own aircraft? This forum is the place to discuss All Things Experimental.

Moderator: drseti

MrMorden

Re: Esqual vm1

Post by MrMorden »

One further consideration: if the airplane ends up on its back, in a high wing you open the door and climb out, in the low wing with a canopy you await rescue. Not a big deal unless you're in a remote farm field somewhere, and/or have a little fuel dripping on your leg from the firewall...
Andy Walker
Athens, GA
Sport Pilot ASEL, LSRI
2007 Flight Design CTSW E-LSA
Warmi

Post by Warmi »

MrMorden wrote:One further consideration: if the airplane ends up on its back, in a high wing you open the door and climb out, in the low wing with a canopy you await rescue. Not a big deal unless you're in a remote farm field somewhere, and/or have a little fuel dripping on your leg from the firewall...
Yeah, that one actually worries me the most.
I do have two types of devices to help me out - a tomahawk on one side of the plane and a special canopy breaking tool on the other.
If one is capable, breaking out takes only 20 or so seconds but , one could be injured which would complicate things.

It is a risk for sure and I have to live with it .
Flying Sting S4 ( N184WA ) out of Illinois
chicagorandy

Post by chicagorandy »

As an interested but non-experienced observer, who is in Oshkosh every year checking things out..... my aged carcass can enter and egress a low wing airplane with relative ease - high wings? More like bending body parts that only 'used to be able' to be bent to get in and out - lol.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Wm.Ince

Post by Wm.Ince »

chicagorandy wrote:As an interested but non-experienced observer, who is in Oshkosh every year checking things out..... my aged carcass can enter and egress a low wing airplane with relative ease - high wings? More like bending body parts that only 'used to be able' to be bent to get in and out - lol.
A very valid point.
Bill Ince
LSRI
Retired Heavy Equipment Operator